Chapter 3.8

Diluc looked back at his hoodie and then he heard the echoes of tears crying in the hallways, ones that were of Diona. He looked up and dashed forward, knowing he needed to amend things and talk to her.

He went down the same direction Diona went, going to the same hallway.

Then he reached the end of the said hallway and was at a fork. He listened keenly, observing the sound of tears or noise in each hallway. He decided that the left one was louder and therefore where Diona was.

He repeated this skill a couple of times till he eventually reaches an exit leading to the small playground outside the school. He opened the door, and walked outside, looking around the playground. Then he found her, Diona, sitting on a swing, looking down as her pink hair covered her face.

Diluc noticed the cat ear headband was sitting on the ground, not being worn by Diona. He quickly picked it up, brushing off some of the dirt, having a feeling that the object is precious to her.

He quietly joined Diona, sitting in the swing next to her. He wasn’t sure what to say, or how to begin so he sat in silence, quietly swinging. Then he had an idea.

“I’m sorry,” Diluc said. Diona turned her head, looking at Diluc through her pink hair. Diluc could feel the glares through her pink hair, having a feeling that she isn’t satisfied with it just yet. So Diluc continued.

“I’m sorry that I yelled at you. I’m also sorry that I called you dumb and a brat, you’re neither of those adjectives” Diluc said, being as sincere as possible. Diona looked back down, her face still covered in her pink hair. She groaned a bit before he could hear her sniffling.
Diluc wasn’t entirely sure if it was the time for him to ask questions, thinking that he might push her too far, but he knew that he wanted her to explain her actions, and why she called him a “dumb Ragnvindr”.

“Diona” Diluc said softly, “why did you do all that?” Diluc asked. Diona grunted, unresponsive.

“I don’t know” she mumbled. Diluc sighed, knowing that there was more to it than just that.

“Well, why did you call me a dumb Ragnvindr? Do you hate me?” Diluc asked, confused. Diona paused, then eventually she answered.

“Sort of, I see your name on daddy’s bottle that he keeps drinking,” Diona said. Diluc took a moment to process it before it sank in him.

“Oh god, her dad’s an alcoholic. Oh god,” he realized that she hated him for what his name represented and caused.

“Daddy keeps changing when he drinks those bottles, and it gets scary,” Diona said, shaking. Then she quietly added,

“I feel like I’m losing him”.
In a flash, Diluc remembered something, something that changed his life.

“Diluc darling, please get ready for school now!” the nanny said, chasing Diluc down the corridors in their large castle. Diluc kept giggling, running away from the nanny. He didn’t feel like going to school today.

“Oh, Diluc” the nanny cried out, slowing down but Diluc kept going faster, turning around a corner.

He realized he had reached near his father’s office, so he decided to go and hide in there. He giggled softly, entering the office before he was caught off guard by his father who was sitting there.

“Diluc, shouldn’t you be getting ready for school?” his father said, with a stern look on his face. Diluc sighed loudly, annoyed at the thought of school.

“It feels too easy and everyone keeps annoying me there! I don’t want to go!” Diluc complained, walking forward, and sitting in one of his father’s office chairs. His father rolled his eyes, chuckling in amusement.