Chapter 3.9

Fischl had been eagerly arriving at the classroom for the past few weeks, chatting with Qiqi who she found the cutest child there was. Every time she entered the classroom, she would hurry to the teacher to report and go to Qiqi who would be in her corner, being quiet. Sometimes she would find her with the stuff cocogoat and sometimes not.

Qiqi was always shy at first but over time, they would be able to talk and chat, with Fischl getting to know the young girl more and more.

She learned that Qiqi was curious about plants, and likes to collect herbs in her background. In response to this, Fischl brought a jar of mint to Qiqi who gladly accepted it in her usual zombie-like reaction.

She also learned that Qiqi tends to forget things a lot, which would result in having to repeat things over and over. She tried to help the girl by teaching her a mnemonic technique but she even forgot that.

Today, Fischl entered the classroom, seeing the usual controlled chaos of the children. She veered around the sea of children and went straight towards the teacher to report and make sure the teacher knew she arrived to get hours accounted for.

She found the teacher at her desk, reading some papers with a pair of reading glasses.

“Hi miss, I have arrived," Fischl said, giving a quick wave before she was about to dash off and find Qiqi to talk to. But the teacher was quick enough to intercept.

“Oh, wait Fischl!” the teacher said, looking up from her papers. Fischl let out an I ternary groan in annoyance and turned around to listen to what the teacher had to say.

“Hi Fischl, um-" the teacher said before lowering her voice, “I noticed you've been talking to Qiqi a lot recently," the teacher said. Fischl arched an eyebrow, unsure of where she was going with this. To be fair, Fischl had been not helping out in the classroom and just talking to Qiqi.

“I was hoping you could maybe let her make friends around her age group instead of talking to her," the teacher said. Fischl froze like a deer caught in headlights. Before Fischl could retort, the teacher kept talking.

“Qiqi is a rather quiet student and she has a hard time talking to other students. I was aiming for her to get out of the corner and expose herself to the kids in the classroom. But it doesn’t help when she’s being blocked by you” the teacher said.

A wave of guilt crashed onto Fischl, as she had realized the lack of interaction between Qiqi and the other students. She knew that Qiqi was never very active and such but she never had thought that it could be damaging.

“I hope you understand why" the teacher concluded before going back to her papers. Fischl meekly nodded and walked away, contemplating her next decisions.

“I’m holding her back I guess," Fischl thought, thinking of all the times Qiqi could’ve tried and made friends.

“I won’t be here forever, and when I’m gone, she’ll be lonely" Fischl added on, now a wave of fear for Qiqi rose. She didn’t want Qiqi to be lonely, always hoping the opposite. Part of the reason she hung with Qiqi was that the two were both lonely, able to share their pain. She groaned a bit, sitting on a small plastic chair to think things out for a moment.

Fischl had always liked Qiqi, finding her shy nature to be rather relatable and amusing to watch. She was also someone that Fischl enjoyed talking to.

Almost like a friend.

Fischl froze for a moment, realizing why it was hard for her to let go of Qiqi.

“She’s the first friend I made in years, if not since I met Oz," Fischl thought. She remembered the years she had spent at the middle school, avoiding talking to others because she felt overwhelmed.