Chapter 5.7

Xinyan looked around in her room, inspecting her instruments. She clung to her guitar, playing through the notes slowly and carefully, adjusting to make sure it was tuned. She checks her drums, feeling the drumsticks to not be at risk of getting broken. She lightly tapped the drums, nervous for some reason. The drums made the usual beats, finding.

Gulping she checked her bass, scrolling through the notes and hearing its pitch. Her fingers stung a bit when checking them, not using a pick. Feeling a bit more confident in her instruments, she raised her arm and aggressively strummed the wires. She heard the ringing note, it’s pitch-perfect but then she hears a snap.

She gasps, examining her bass and seeing a string to be have been broken off. She groaned audibly, annoyed at the slight misstep. She went to her nearby draw and reached her hand, looking around for spare strings. She arched an eyebrow when all she saw and felt were random scraps of paper and the wood of the draw.
She picked up a piece of paper and read it.

Reminder to get more strings”
“-Past Xinyan"

Xinyan groaned, becoming more annoyed and anxious. She threw the paper away, got her keys and wallet, heading to her family car. Her dad was busy with work in his office so the car was available.

She got into the car and began to drove to the only instrument store that sells instruments and supplies in the whole district. TOM'S Instruments. Since they’re the only instrument store in town, they had tended to raise prices for things that shouldn’t have such high prices. Like bass strings.

So Xinyan wasn’t very enthusiastic about entering the store that reeked of capitalism. She walked into the store, going directly to the right side of the store where they hung all of the strings and other supplies. She glanced around, looking for bass strings. She reached her hand to the place it would normally be but her hand only felt hooks and metal, no bass strings.

Confused, she went to the clerk.

“Uh sir, do you by have bass strings?” Xinyan asked.

“No, we ran out yesterday. A shipment is coming next week on Saturday,” the clerk stated. Xinyan could hear herself crack a bit, becoming more aggravated and anxious by the moment.

She exhaled deeply, trying to rein it in, and loudly stomp her way out of the store.

“Grr,” She growled, getting mad and pissed at how her day was turning out.

She gave a quick middle finger to TOM’S Instruments, annoyed at the monopoly the store had.

“Hey!” a woman yelled out, catching Xinyan’s attention. She saw a mom with her child who was trying to do the middle finger. The mom seemed furious but Xinyan didn’t care and just ignored the mom, stomping away.

Xinyan continued to walk to her car, parked in the parking lot for wall street. Feeling mad she tried to open her car but then was caught off guard by the delicious smell. Turning around, she saw Wanmin restaurant and her tummy growled.

Abiding by her stomach's desire, she jaywalking across the street, avoiding the car’s and entered the restaurant.

She saw that it was halfway full, being the middle of the day for a Sunday. She breathed in relief, as much as Xinyan loved roaring crowds when she performs, she does dislike being in the midst of a loud bustling environment like packed restaurants or stadium seats. It always set her nerves on fire and made her want to squirm away into the darkness.

“Oh hey, Xinyan!” Xiangling said, arriving at Xinyan.

“Hey,” Xinyan said briefly. Xiangling smiled and lead her to a seat, a small two-seat table nearby a window. Out the window, Xinyan could see the street and people walking by.