Chapter 2.10

Venti looked outside, sighing a bit as he watched leaves fall and the trees beginning to turn barren, the winds chilling the leaves away into the unknown.

Winter was coming.

Venti looked back at the front of the classroom, seeing Baizhu teach something along the lines of a book but Venti mentally wasn't really paying attention, his eyes getting drawn to Xiao who was seemed to be actually paying attention.

Venti watched from afar, being in the back and Xiao was in the front, so he could pay attention to every little detail and quirk Xiao had. He noticed his hand pulling back his pretty dark hair every time he turned a page. He saw the foot tapping on the ground, impatient as if for something more. The pretty eyes blinking whenever he seemed to have gotten something wrong or was flustered when the teacher called on him. Venti saw it all.

“Aww so cute… Wait this isn’t creepy right?” Venti thought, realizing he had been staring at Xiao for a long period. He then felt a sudden jabbing kick on his calf, breaking his focus.

“ouch!” his mind exclaimed, not wanting to cause a scene in Baizhu’s class of all classes. He looked back and saw Mona who raised an eyebrow, silently moving her lips to form a sentence. Venti used the best of his lip-reading skills to make sense of it.

“Brah, don’t be so obvious it’s weird” Mona communicated. Venti rolled his eyes, ignoring her. Mona let out a huff and Venti went back to staring at Xiao, bored of Baizhu’s class. He saw all the familiar little quirks of Xiao, the blinking, the foot-tapping and so much more, warming his heart inside.

Then the bell rang, and Xiao dashed out the room, leaving Venti’s sight. Venti pouted a bit, sadden to see him go so soon but he knew they both had different lives. Xiao was probably off to go for football practice while he and Mona will leave to study in the library or go to cheerleading practice which they both are in. This day it was studying in the library.

Mona and Venti both got up from their desks, collecting their materials. Mona lazily looked over at Venti and said, “so how has been your mission to get with Xiao or whatever?”. Then Mona snickered, mocking him a bit.
Venti rolled his eyes, not wanting to deal with her mockery. He replied,

“well, I’ve been able to talk to him and learn new things about him, so I would say it is going well”. Then he grabbed his backpack and began to head for the classroom exit, ditching Mona behind.

“Hey!” Mona said, hurrying over to Venti, “brah don’t ditch me, especially not today, its mercury’s retrograde for Geminis” Mona added, giving a warning look.

Venti rolled his eyes extra hard, finding Mona’s astrology passion to be annoying at times, especially when it comes to her dumb omens which never come true most of the time.

“Mona you said that last time and nothing happened, the worst thing that happened to me during mercury’s retrograde was when a squirrel took my sandwich,” Venti said, recounting a picnic with his friends and an ambitious squirrel decided to take Venti’s sandwich. Luckily, he was with Keqing who basically supplied the food so he could get another one.

“That was daunting,” Mona said, her eyes going wide. Venti couldn’t tell if she was being serious or not, so he just ignored the comment.

The two continue to make their way to the library, strolling and taking their time, not really in the mood to study.

Then Mona’s phone rings and she takes it out of her baggy sweater pocket and answered it.

“Hello?” Mona asked, then Venti could tell she knew who it was, especially when she mouthed “mom” to him after saying hello.