Chapter 8.1

“WHOO!” Bennett exclaimed, stars beaming brightly in his eyes. Leaning over the railing, he pointed towards the large rock formation, ecstatic to see it past the fog. Immediately he felt a tug behind him, someone pulling him away from the ferry railing. He turned his head and saw Razor, smiling softly while still seeming nervous, his hand cutely clenching the hem of Bennett’s red shirt. “oh sorry, I’ll be careful” Bennett reassured.

Razor nodded, grateful. Bennett faced the large rock formation, other students joining them as it grew larger. They ooh-ed and aww-ed, excited to see the place where they’ll be spending the next week for their annual school field trip.

In the distance, Bennett could make out a sign, reading “Welcome to the Golden Apple Archipelago”. The Golden Apple Archipelago was this year’s field trip, a beachy getaway area that has a few resorts. It was announced a few months ago, exciting students as they all wished to finally see the sun and beach instead of the usual gray sluggish weather.

Bennett was personally excited, energized, and ready to run around, have fun and explore the special archipelago, known for being so hidden in fog and sea. He heard of rumors of the place, its seashell white sand, idyllic forestry, and picturesque resorts made for losing all worries.

By his side was Razor, his best friend in the whole world who always made his heart race when seeing him. Razor looked happy and excited as well, smiling more than usual and his eyes wide open in awe, even if they haven’t reached the place yet. Bennett couldn’t help but smile brightly, adoring Razor’s cute smile and contagious happiness.

Razor was almost bouncing up and down, pouting at times and it reminded Bennett of a puppy, his cute eyes so eager and excited. It made his heart pound aggressively, seeing the sight of Razor being excited, departing from his usual softer and less expressive features. He’d never seen Razor be so excited in a long time and it made Bennett more excited.

The two were almost jumping up and down, Bennett jumping up and down. In his excitement, Bennett took a bold move and reached out, grabbing Razor’s hand. Razor’s face immediately went red, making Bennett giggle, finding it amusing even if he didn’t understand the reaction.

“I’m so EXCITED!” Bennett exclaimed, hopping up and down on the ferry’s wooden floors. Razor watched him keenly, likely observing to make sure his bad luck doesn’t strike. Yet disaster strikes as Bennett trips, his foot losing its grounding and slips. Bennett gasps loudly, sensing himself falling backward. He closes his eyes, preparing for impact, expecting his back to be bruised, but no impact comes as he feels two warm arms wrap around his waist, holding him steady.

Bennett opens his eyes, seeing a worried Razor close to his face, hold him. Bennett’s heart goes crazy, his mind spinning a bit, but he tries to ignore it, thinking that he’s likely just recovering from the adrenaline of falling.

“H-hey” Bennett stutters, surprised at the catch. “Thanks for catching me” Bennett adds, always grateful for his best friend. Razor only nods, gulping as he helped Bennett regain footing and not be on the edge of falling.

The two stare at each other, their eyes locked onto and neither one capable of breaking apart for some reason. Bennett felt his face heat up; his fingers still connected to Razors. Razor’s hands felt warm, rough with some cuts, but yet comfortable and familiar. Bennett liked that.

Razor leaned in a bit, Bennett confused about where this was going, but he did the same. Their faces, closer together and Bennett felt the urge to close his eyes, closing the gap, his heart scream for it but he didn’t understand why.

“BLARE!” the horns blare out, snapping the two out of their trance. Bennett pulls away, shocked at the sudden alarm. He looks around and sees the other students going inside, and notices that the ferry was getting closer to the archipelago.