Chapter 13.3

A few weeks pass by after the football game with the Fatui military school and Kaeya finds himself immensely bored.

He had gotten a taste of the sweet nectar and dopamine rush that was winning as the star of a game. Though the next few days passed by after winning and he immediately felt a drop in emotions, losing the victory high but he was back to normal, yet normalcy bored him. He wanted to keep playing, to keep winning, and to keep feeling his blood course through his veins.

So, it came to no surprise when during his class period in history with Eula, it was interrupted as an advisor entered the classroom and began to discuss college.

Of course, it wasn’t the first time he had heard discussions about college and preparing for it, after all, he had to do volunteer hours, join a few extra clubs plus take some fancy tests to spice up his college resume. But now, Kaeya felt a slight gut-wrenching feeling in his stomach, nervous as he realized his future wasn’t going to be surrounded by the familiar friends, he had accumulated at Genshin High.

Sitting on his desk, Kaeya stared at the paper. It was a pretty common question he found himself getting asked about more and more often, what does he want to major for in college?

When he was younger, he believed he would enjoy something artistic then he took an art class and found the act to be rather stressful. So now he just says business, a more likely possibility for him that will bode well with his stepfamily’s wealth and status.

However, the blue-haired jock also wanted something else. Seeing his boredom with school, he discovered that he wanted to experience the thrill of the game a lot more. With a gulp, alongside business, he added football, deciding to ask the high school counselor more about it later today.

Later in the day, Kaeya enters the boy’s locker room, getting ready for football practice. He always liked the practice, finding it a nice de-stressor to his day except for one thing.

When entering, he saw a familiar tuft of obnoxious red hair that made his blood curl a little. He snarls a bit, annoyed to see Diluc’s unemotive face but remembering the speech coach Beidou gave to them both when the two stepbrothers got too aggressive one day, he cooled his heartbeat and focused on changing.

“Hello Kaeya,” Diluc said, making Kaeya roll his eyes out of instinct. To him, anything said out of Diluc’s mouth is annoying and grating enough.

“Hi Luc,” Kaeya said, teasing him with the nickname he made to specifically annoy Diluc. Kaeya noticed out of the corner of his eye Diluc’s flinching, thus making him smile a bit.

“I hope your day is going well,” Diluc said, rustling around and pulling his shirt over his head. Kaeya once again rolled his eyes, knowing that Diluc was doing it for pleasantries.

“It’s the same. Though I did go to the high school counselor and they said I have a chance at getting a football scholarship,” Kaeya said, adding the last part to seem human and brotherly to his stepbrother. He wanted to at least update Diluc on a part of his life. What he didn’t expect was Diluc’s reaction.

“Oh, there’s no need you can just use the family funds,” Diluc deadpanned, putting his sports socks on now. Kaeya froze, appalled at the statement.

“Uh I’m sure I can just work hard and figure it out on my own,” Kaeya responded, thoroughly annoyed at his stepbrother, assuming he couldn’t do it himself. He may have relied on the family’s money most of his life, but he believed deep down that he could do some things on his own.

“Okay, but you don’t need to, besides it might not work out,” Diluc added.

“Are you saying that I’m not good enough at football?” Kaeya asked. Diluc paused before responding brutally.

“Maybe not good, but just probably not able to reach the requirement. Besides, why do so when you have a college fund waiting to be used” Diluc responded.

“But what if I don’t want to use the old man’s money anyway?” Kaeya questioned, feeling heated, his voice rising.

“As if you could survive without it,” Diluc muttered, but not quite enough for Kaeya to not hear it. His blood rose, furious at the statement. He couldn’t believe that Diluc still saw him as a lazy slacker living off the old man’s money. Kaeya knew that he did shit and could do shit, so seeing Diluc continually not change his perception made his blood hotter than the sun.

“You little piece of shi-” Kaeya yelled out, about to push Diluc, his hands feeling itchy to piss off Diluc with much more than just a snarky comment. But then his world went black. Kaeya heard a loud boom explode behind him and he fell to the ground, eyelids making his surroundings dark and his mind fuzzy.