Chapter 6.5

“What do you mean? I-is mommy around to help?” Klee asked, confused. Seeing Jean on the ground, trying to hide tears despite being someone so brave and strong was starting to sting at Klee. Since arriving at Jean’s house, Klee felt off, everything felt off. Today should be a day where Klee and mommy would be spending time together and playing but yet it’s not.

Instead, today has been racked with confusion and Jean crying.

Klee heard Jean scoff a bit, a bit harsher than normal for Jean who was always level-headed. Klee wished mommy was here right now because mommy would make everything alright. In Klee’s eyes, mommy was the best person in the world, capable of many things and always able to make Klee happy. If mommy was able to make Klee happy when she felt sad at times, she knew that she could make Jean happy.

“Maybe we should get mommy to help,” Klee suggested, tugging at Jean’s arm to get her off the ground out the door. In the corner of her eye, she sees a letter, the same envelope that Jean took off of her own hands. She could see the bottom of the page say “-Alice”. Why would mommy leave a letter?

“What’s in the letter Jean?” Klee asked, no longer tugging and her confusion growing. Jean swallowed, her eyes hesitant and frozen. Eventually, she responded.

“I-its from your mom, she has decided to,” Jean says before freezing again, scared to finish the sentence. Klee however was persistent, wanting answers to why she wasn’t spending the day with mommy and having fun? Why was she in Jean’s house, seeing the strong woman that she’s known all her life cry on the floor?

“Decided what!” Klee exclaimed, getting mad at Jean’s hesitation, leaving her in the dark. Jean winced at Klee’s yelling, making her feel bad.

“She’d decided to leave Klee, she’s not here anymore,” Jean said, staring at the ground and unable to make eye contact with Klee.

“W-what?” Klee said, confused. If mommy was gone, who was going to play with her then? Klee felt her heartbeat race, her body shake at the possibility.

“I-is this one of her funny jokes or pranks that she does?” Klee asked, remembering the occasional surprise water balloon fights mommy would start in the summer. It always was a fun memory. Yet something in her gut told her otherwise, seeing that water balloon fights never have Jean crying.

“N-no Klee”, Jean said, handing the letter to Klee. Klee took it, her hands trembling and her eyes feeling dizzy.

Eventually, it all became too much, reading the letter and hearing mommy’s voice but in a different tone that Klee never heard before. Her vision felt blurry and tears were pouring down her face.

In a moment of desperation, her mind did what it could best and destroyed the letter, feeling viciously angry.

“No Klee!” Jean exclaimed, reaching out to retrieve the letter but the damage was done. It laid on the floor in shreds. Klee looked down at the letter, feeling pain and anger course through her veins still then looked back up at Jean who seemed to be in pain, her eyes distraught. She was trying to re-piece the letter, trying to fix it. But Klee knew it was hopeless, she was too good at destroying things.

“Klee, why would you do that?” Jean said, her voice warbling.

“I-I” Klee stuttered out quietly, confused and unsure of what to say. She wanted to deny the truth of mommy’s disappearance but seeing that nothing happened, she knew she needed to try harder at denying it. So like mother like daughter, she ran away.

“Klee no!” Jean cried out, too slow to follow Klee who had turned around and quickly dashed out the door. Klee ran outside, seeing the nearby forest, deciding to take a shortcut from all the hiking trips she had been on with Razor and Bennett.

“W-wait Klee!” Jean cried out, but Klee was already heading into the woods, leaving behind Jean in a trail of dust.