Chapter 20: Pitch Dark

Venom Snake's POV

The chopper is flying to Africa. I picked up DD to come with me on the mission. Kaz calls me to give the mission details.

Kaz: Came from intel. The target is Angola's Mfinda oilfield, upstream from the landing point. A spill has covered the whole area in crude. A pipeline that crosses the Munene River failed, now the shore's a mess. Not to mention the villages downstream have no drinking water.

We get closer to the landing zone. I pet DD.

Kaz: The oil runs to the pipeline from that facility. Taking it out should end the leak. The client this time is an environmental NGO. Destroy the facility. Stop that leak. This may seem like straight-up philanthropy, but there's another reason we agreed to it. The Mfinda oilfield was outdated, abandoned.

Venom Snake: Abandoned?

Kaz: Then the rebel group UNITA moved in, taking it upon themselves to kickstart operations. UNITA's been rapidly modernizing its arsenal. Rumor has it someone's been selling them U.S. military hardware. Intel's analysis suggests the broker's a front company - Cipher's. Keeping tabs on UNITA could tell us who's pulling its strings.

The chopper makes it to the LZ. Me and DD steps out. It was nasty water.

Kaz: That's step one to tracking down Skull Face - and Cipher with him. Good luck, Boss.

Venom Snake: Of course.

I look at DD.

Venom Snake: Come on, DD.

I start walking into the forest, DD follows me.

Kaz: First make your way to the oil facility. It's to the north, past Bwala ya Masa. The village is currently occupied by UNITA. So stay sharp.

We continue to follow the path of the water in the forest.

Kaz: The war industry we started has taken a pretty crooked course these past nine years. With no other options, soldiers have become dogs of war, sent to conflict zones as "private forces," or PFs. Guys we fought alongside are dying all around the globe for no reason - no banner. But it's how they survive. The demand for PFs here in Africa is especially high. Cold War standoffs, resource exploitation, tribal clashes... What's big business for developed countries has only brought conflict here. That mess you're standing in... is just the latest example.

We start going up the hill. I see a village:

Kaz: You've arrived at Masa village.

Venom Snake: This it? Okay.

I was able to sneak through the village, I found a car and was able to start it, DD gets in the passenger seat. I start driving to the oilfield.

Kaz: Mfinda Oulfield is the property of SANR - South African National Resources. SANR drills oil wells wherever they can throughout that region. And when the oil dries up, they abandon the facility. Then it's only a matter of time before the ageing equipment starts leaking crude. That means UNITA's takeover is the perfect cover for SANR. Now they can blame the spill on a bunch of "oil thieves." However you look at it, SANR's far from squeaky clean.

We get closer to the oilfield. We see some kind of burnt down village.

Ocelot: That used to be a settlement... but now it's burned to the ground.

Venom Snake: Oh...

We make it to the facility.

Kaz: There it is - the oil facility. To stop the leak, you need to shut down the oil transfer pump and destroy the oily water separator tank. The details are on your IDroid.