Chapter 69: Exiling Huey

Venom Snake's POV

We have Huey tied up in the hanger. We are all In there as well. We are about to decide Huey's fate.

Ocelot: Nine years ago, this man acted as accomplice to the attack on Mother Base. He then provided support to Skull Face. Conspiring with Eli, he repaired Sahelanthropus in secret. His "research materials" caused the leak at the quarantine facility. Which in turn caused the Wolbachia mutation, letting the parasites off their chains. We lost a lot of good men. He also stands accused of murdering one of his own family, hiding the body.

Huey: I haven't killed anyone. The rest is all wrong, too. The inspection was supposed to help everyone! I sacrificed myself for my companions just as much as any of you... Why won't you believe me?!

Kaz limps in front of him.

Kaz: The prosecution calls a witness.

We see the AI Pod get moved closer to us.

Kaz: Strangelove's gravestone. Haunted by her phantom.

Huey: It's just a machine...

The pod then turns on and flashes red. We hear a recording from it. It sounds like someone is banging on the pod.

Strangelove: Open this thing! Huey! Damn it Huey! Open it now! Please... Let me out... Kill me...

Kaz: It recorded it all.

Kaz throws pictures of Huey, Strangelove, and their son, Hal, on the ground.

Kaz: Everything... Everything you did living together.

Huey: How could a machine...?

Kaz: You forced your own son into the cockpit of a Metal Gear. A test subject.

Huey: Hal...

Kaz: His mother had to hide him away... And for that you locked her in that coffin.

Huey: No! She... She did it herself! It was suicide! And even if I did, what right do you have?

Kaz: There's more. We have you to tell us everything you've done - everything you've thought - all this time. Nine years ago. You agreed to the inspection in return for Cipher's guarantee that you'd be spared.

Huey: I thought it was real!

Kaz: We've reviewed into everything else that's happened ever since you arrived here.

Huey: Please...

Kaz: Guilty. All counts.

Kaz hits the ground with his crutch. The soldiers start screaming and yelling to kill Huey. It was getting wild in here. Ocelot then got out his revolver and shot it in the air, shutting everyone up.

Kaz: We exist outside the law.

Kaz looks at me.

Kaz: What should we do, Boss? Just give the order...

Kaz looks back at Huey.

Kaz: We'll handle the rest.

I walk up to Huey and look at him. I make my decision.

Venom Snake: Prepare a life raft. Big enough for one. Food and water, too.

Kaz: Boss...?

Venom Snake: He's leaving.

Kaz: You... He's responsible for... for all of this. Think of all the men... He didn't lose a damned thing. This is the enemy, and he's here - on his knees...!

Venom Snake: Kaz. You are right, he is not one of us... But we are not responsible to judge an enemy. He leaves Mother Base and that'll be the end of it.

Kaz backs up and limps away. I look back at Huey.

Timeskip

We got the raft set up. Huey is sitting on it. One of our soldiers puts the box of food and water next to him. He then tries to grab his legs.

Huey: Get back! Don't touch me!

The soldier backs up.

Huey: I'm innocent! You're the murderers!

Huey points at me.

Huey: Snake, you should be in this boat! There'd have been no inspection if it weren't for your precious nuke!

The raft gets lowered.

Huey: I risked my life trying to save you all! How can you do this?! Am I the only sane one here?!

Huey puts his hand on his head.

Huey: I... My... It's not my fault.

The raft lands in the water. Water starts pouring in. Huey takes off his legs and throws them in the water, steadying his raft. The raft starts floating away.

Ocelot: Look... You can't discard your phantoms forever, Doctor.

Kaz: Son of a bitch'll make it, you know. I can see it now. In no time he'll be telling tales about the black-hearted Diamond Dogs. The shining white knight. Blabbering on about our injustice, hiding behind his fool's idea of morality... And all the other fools will stand around, nodding with every word he says.

Ocelot: No. One day he'll see through the lies he's built up. Realize what kind of man he really is. What goes around comes around. You can't run from yourself forever.

We all continue to watch Huey's raft float away from Mother Base.