Chapter 68: Reasons for Wolbachia Mutation

Venom Snake's POV

I am resting in my quarters. I am processing everything that happened at the Quarantine Facility. I get a call from Kaz.

Kaz: You got a minute? It's about the Quarantine Facility.

Venom Snake: What now...?

Kaz: We've more or less figured out what caused the mutation in the vocal cord parasites. It was the radiation from that scanner. And the one who installed it was Emmerich... I've added a tape recording of the interrogation. You should listen to it.

Venom Snake: Right away.

I find the recording and play it.

Ocelot: Well, doctor. I have the report on the incident at the Quarantine Facility. Assuming the vocal cord parasite "evolved" - I'm sorry - underwent a "mutation"... The only plausible explanations are exposure to some high-concentration mutagen... or radiation. As you know, some of the staff at the Quarantine Facility were infected with the parasites. The Wolbachia prevented them from copulating, but the parasites themselves can't be removed from their hosts' vocal cords. Once you're infected with... Skull Face's parting gift, you're stuck with it. The researchers regularly used X-ray equipment to monitor the parasites in their throats. No problems there. They kept a close eye on the radiation doses. But that equipment didn't just give off X-rays. It was also emitting beta rays. Even though that's unnecessary for the scans. See beta rays have far worse effects on DNA than X-rays. Meaning the only logical conclusion is that someone added in a beta ray emitter to trigger a mutation. Those beta rays leaked out from inside the equipment. Because the emitter was retrofitted, the shielding was inadequate. And the person who ordered and inspected the equipment... Was you, doctor. That makes you the only person with the opportunity to install that emitter.

Huey: So now you're saying I sabotaged medical equipment for some wild plan to make the vocal cord parasite kill everyone?

Ocelot: Or maybe you thought it'd reveal a way to treat the parasite without using the Wolbachia. With that much to barter. I suppose some people would welcome even a pathetic cur like you.

Huey: Just stop it.

Ocelot: You'd have no shortage of buyers. But most would be happy with just the parasite. You wouldn't need to offer anything else. However, if that buyer already knew about the parasite... They'd also know that by itself, it's no longer the ultimate bargaining chip it once was. To sell to that buyer, you'd need to throw in a bonus: A way to one-up it. There's only one buyer who'd be after that.

Kaz: Emmerich. We record all communications on Mother Base. That includes radio transmissions to and from homemade devices. You've been in frequent contact with people in America. A private bio-tech company. A client of which is DARPA. And they are connected to Cipher. You made a deal with Cipher. You offered them a new parasite in exchange for your safety. This is the only place in the world where the vocal cord parasite still exists. And you used it as a testing ground. Tried to resurrect their bio weapon. But your plan to obtain the parasite has failed. Your bullshit ends now. And don't think you're leaving here alive.

The recording ends.