Chapter 77: The Truth Tapes

Y/N's POV

I'm still processing that I'm not really Big Boss... I was changed into him... I had to know more. Thankfully, Ocelot gave me more than one tape. I see a tape called "Doublethink." I play it.

Ocelot: Boss. How are you back on your feet so quickly?

Snake: It's a non-smoking ward.

Ocelot: Boss...

Snake: If I listened to everything the doctors said, I'd probably die in here. No point in waking up after nine years for that.

Ocelot: Well, having you out of that bed makes things a little easier.

Snake: Bad news, huh?

Ocelot: Things are looking worse.

Snake: Go on.

Ocelot: They found out. About you waking up. And the man on fire picked this time to wake up too. We'll have to move forward ahead of schedule. Miller already has the preparations underway. We'll have to wake up Y/N, too.

Snake: So he's not- He seems awake now.

Ocelot: No - well, he's not actively conscious yet at least.

Snake: He was a doctor too.

Ocelot: In his mind, that past no longer exists. Your past is his past now. He's going to be your phantom. Not some simple diversion - he'll act as the new Big Boss. And the act isn't just for Cipher - he'll be your face on the world stage. Until the time comes for your resurgence.

Snake: You make it sound easy.

Ocelot: We've been busy over the last nine years. His altered state of consciousness has helped us implant powerful suggestions through induced hypnagogia. He's experienced all your missions on record, and shares all your knowledge and experience. To make him believe that he is the one true Big Boss. No one around him will doubt that he's the Big Boss they know. So is he the real Big Boss, or a stand-in? What does that mean to him? Nothing. The human brain is capable of many illusions. Of pain, of the future. What happens from here depends on his skill. But you can vouch for that.

Snake: He was always the best man we had. But...

Ocelot: Nine years ago, in that helicopter, he threw himself between you and the blast. In that moment, Y/N died. He died protecting you, and now, by becoming you, he protects you again. This is just a detour in his journey to Hell. And don't forget - it's what he wanted. He's in his Dog Days now.

Snake: Hmph.

Ocelot: It's not just him. We'll be putting the people in this hospital in the line of fire. They'll be your shield, and a necessary diversion. To buy us some time.

Snake: And you?

Ocelot: I'll be right by his side.

Snake: Can you keep it up? It's a hell of a lie.

Ocelot: It won't be a lie. I won't know his secret either. I'll believe that he's the real Big Boss. I'll have no conscious knowledge of you - where's the lie in that?

Snake: Self-hypnosis?

Ocelot: It's nothing new in my line of work. Manipulating memories... the past. But that's not all. When the time is right, I need to remember that you're the real Boss. In the world, it's doublethink. In this year? Two plus two equals five. And I want you to do the same.

Snake: Right - his bodyguard.

Ocelot: Correct. It won't be long before this hospital comes under attack. We'll wake him up right away, but he won't be back to full health in time. You'll need to take him through his final paces.