Chapter 51: Remains of the Man On Fire

Venom Snake's POV

I am in the ACC. I get a call from Ocelot.

Ocelot: Got a report from the Intel team. Remember how the Man on Fire was crushed by Sahelanthropus?

Venom Snake: Yeah, I saw that happen.

Ocelot: Well, the Soviets recovered his body. Could he really be dead? Boss, head for Yakho Oboo Supply Outpost, and secure the Man on Fire's body.

Venom Snake: Got it.

Timeskip

I went back to Mother Base to pick up DD. The chopper then takes us back to Afghanistan. The chopper lands, me and DD gets off. We start heading for Yakho Oboo Supply Outpost. After making it, we see guards. I start to crawl my way inside. Good news for me, most of the men was going inside the outpost to sleep. Which means less guards to deal with. I get behind one of the guards.

Venom Snake: Don't move.

The guard puts his gun and puts his hands up.

Venom Snake: On the ground.

The guard gets down on the ground and lays on his chest. I shoot my tranquilizer at the remaining guards. I then see the Man on Fire's body. I carefully put the Fulton device on him. I look up as the balloon slowly raises him. Then out of nowhere, he gets on fire and I see him on his horse, the same one from the night I woke up from my coma. They land on the ground. The Man on Fire gets off his horse and slowly walk towards me. I get out my gun and aim it at him. He then tackles me to the ground. I see his figure change. He changed to... Colonel
Volgin! He gets off me. I quickly get up to my feet. I then see bullets in my closed bionic fist. I drop the bullets. I then see Volgin fall to the ground. He is back to his Man on Fire body. The chopper arrives.

Timeskip

I am at the quarantine platform. The Man on Fire is in a cage. Ocelot is also there.

Ocelot: I barely recognize you, colonel. Skull Face used your thirst for revenge against Big Boss, did he?

Ocelot walks away. I stand there, looking at the Man on Fire. I then decide to call the chopper. I head back to the ACC. I see Ocelot gave me a tape about the Man on Fire. I play it.

Ocelot: Volgin, the GRU colonel, was burned alive with the Shagohod during Operation Snake Eater 20 years ago. Despite suffering severe burns to his entire body, he still clung to life. After you left Tselinoyarsk, Volgin's body was taken to a research institute in the outskirts of Moscow. But modern medicine couldn't explain why he was still alive. Not that the colonel was any ordinary man to begin with. That constant electric current he had running through his body, that he could unleash at will... To be honest, I was always uncomfortable around him. Thought I might get electrocuted just by standing nearby. The institute studying him was tasked with investigating and developing human paranormal abilities. The comatose Volgin was used to further the Soviet Union's research into such abilities. But not long ago, the facility burned to the ground. And Volgin's body was never found among the rubble. Even though the fire started in the room where they were keeping him. This occurred at around the same time you woke up. If Skull Face was right, and a thirst for revenge can turn a man into a demon and keep the dead alive... Then this "Man on Fire" who's been coming after us ever since you woke up... well, that just might be what's left of our old friend Volgin. "It's not over yet." Back in '64, in Tselinoyarsk, you brought his plans for a utopia down in flames. That grudge is what's keeping him alive.

The tape ends.