Chapter 56: Skull Face's origin

Venom Snake's POV

I got another tape from Ocelot. Since I'm in the ACC, I decide to listen to it.

Ocelot: Skull Face. Real name, unknown. Born in Hungary. More specifically, northern Transylvania after it reverted to Hungary from Romania. While he was young, the country allied with Germany as part of the Axis powers, but later during the war it came under Soviet occupation. The Hungarians struggled for independence, but the Soviets came down - hard. Just like he said, time and again the country was ruled by a foreign tongue. When he was a young boy, he lost his native language. The bedrock for any developing child. His country, his family, his face, his identity - everything was stolen from him. All he had left was his skull. Skull Face first tried his hand at espionage during all the chaos from the war. Agents, military officials, and soldiers who operated out of the Hungary during the war vanished over the course of several months. This Soviet spy hunt rocked the counter-intel world. Mysterious fatal illnesses, accidental deaths, drownings... People having strokes behind closed doors - just like Stalin. No one knew who was behind it. But all you need to do was look for who had the motive. They were all taken out by a man without a face. And now we've got an idea of how he did it, too. He'd gotten revenge for his people. But he wasn't finished. Skull Face defected to the West, eventually ended up with the SAS - that's where he met Zero. It's possible he began planning this whole thing back then - it's hard to say. In any case, Zero made him his XO. He always did have a thing for oddballs. But this one was set to lead a unit no one else would know about. When Zero created FOX, he also formed XOF - as a support team. An unconventional special forces unit designed to support FOX, make it stronger. With Skull Face giving the orders. Zero never even told The Boss about it. Nor the CIA, naturally. If FOX was Zero's silver bullet, XOF was the recoil when he pulled the trigger. Just like Newton's third law. While you were with FOX, Skull Face was operating behind the scenes. Sometimes as your backup. Sometimes as a mole or a scout. Sometimes as your cleanup crew. FOX's tail... Making sure the mission succeeded, and that you survived.

The tape ends.