Chapter 31: Voices

Venom Snake's POV

I am on my way to Africa, I go alone, I hear Kaz give me mission details.

Kaz: The target is Shabani. He was the leader of the boys being forced to work at the mine. He was separated from the others and taken away to Ngumba Industrial Zone. The locals call this place "Nzo ya Badiabulu"  - the Devil's House. Boss. Find Shabani, and extract him safely. You can check the target's location on your iDroid.

I got off the chopper, and started running towards the objective. I then found a truck with a driver. I sneak to truck and climb on the back of it. I then lay there as the truck got me closer to where I needed to be. I then got off and continued on foot. I then saw a collapsed bridge.

Kaz: The bridge is collapsed... Looks like you'll have to go down through the valley.

Venom Snake: Damn.

I go down through the valley, I see guards target practicing. I stay low and crawl away from them. I then see a tunnel and walk through.

Ocelot: There's a lot of erosion in that tunnel. Could come down at any minute. Watch your step.

Venom Snake: Got it.

I see the Ngumba Industrial Zone.

Kaz: You've reached the objective area. Now look for the target. I just hope he's alive...

I see the "Devil's House". I slowly walk inside. I see a path of blood.

Venom Snake: What the hell...?

I follow the path. It leads me to a curtain. I move it, I see a man on a bed, I walk closer to him and get out my flashlight to get a better look. He has tape on his neck. I take it off, I see a cord going into his neck, I take it out, it was an earbud. I bring the earbud closer to my ear to listen, it was a voice speaking another language. I then use my flashlight to follow the cord, it was connected to a radio. I then look back down at the man, I see a piece of cloth on his chest. I remove it to see the infected lumps I've seen before. I use my bionic hand to feel the lumps, I then see some liquid come down my fingers, I use my flashlight to get a better look. I then shake my hand, getting the liquid off.

Kaz: What is that...?

I see more of the bodies.

Kaz: Boss, is Shabani...?

Venom Snake: I-I don't know...

I walked through the room with all the bodies. I then see a kid on one of those beds. I sneak closer to the bed, I lean my head closer to his chest, his heart was beating fast, and he was shivering. I see a necklace on his hand. I take it and look at it, this was Shabani.

Venom Snake: Shabani?

Shabani notices me.

Venom Snake: Your boys sent me.

I get out a knife and cut him free. I then hear a door open. I see Skull Face, he walks to one of the bodies and leans his head closer to it. He then speaks in another language.

Skull Face: I accept your disgrace, your sorrow, unto myself.

Skull Face gets out a gun and aims it at the body.

Skull Face: Rest in piece.

Skull Face shoots the body. Causing Shabani to freak out, I try keeping him steady and shushing him, but it doesn't work. Skull Face then aims his gun at me.

Skull Face: You.

Skull Face looks away.

Skull Face: Burn with the rest of them!

I then the floating boy again for a few seconds before he disappeared. Skull Face starts walking away. I then feel heat, the building was getting on fire. I hear a roar as I got charged to the ground by something. I look up to see who it was. I couldn't believe my eye. It was the man on fire! From the hospital! He grabs me, which burns me, I try crawling away, he then freezes in place.

Venom Snake: What the-

I then see the floating boy again, he is watching Shabani burn to death. Then after the floating boy disappears, the man on fire unfreezes. He roars. I quickly get up.

Kaz: Get the fuck out of there!

I start running away.

Kaz: What the hell is that?!

Ocelot: Run, Boss! It's him again!! You can't let him catch you, Boss. Get outta there!

Kaz: Boss, I'll have the chopper touch down past the tunnel. Get over there, now!

As I run out of the building, it blows up.

Ocelot: Take cover, Boss!

Kaz: He's spotted you! He's coming!!

Venom Snake: SHIT!!!

I see the man on fire, he shoots a fireball at me. I quickly dive out of the way and continue running, I run towards the tunnel, but it collapses.

Kaz: Damn it, the tunnel's blocked! Boss, I know it's risky, but I'm changing the LZ closer to your position.

The man on fire is still after me. I get out my gun and start shooting him.

Ocelot: Bullets won't work on him!

As he gets closer, I see a water tank. When the man on fire got close enough, I shot the tank, shooting water at the man on fire, he roars and turns into smoke.

Kaz: Did that do it...? Quick, now's the time to get on the chopper.

I see the man on fire on his knees, he wasn't on fire. I also see the floating boy. I take this chance to call the chopper and the chopper flies me away. While I am flying back, I hear Kaz.

Kaz: Skull Face. So he was in Africa after all. Working behind the scenes, with even that "Man on Fire" at his beck and call... But what the hell was going on at "the Devil's House"? Earphones embedded in people's throats, tape playing voices... And those lumps on their chests... it looked like the ones on the bodies at the oilfield. The Man on Fire burned everything to the ground... But we were recording audio the whole time you were there. We'll conduct a thorough analysis of it.

Timeskip

I arrived back at the base. I see the kids sitting on the ground, devastated... they probably heard about Shabani's death. I walk up to one of the kids and kneel down to him. I give him Shabani's necklace. The kid takes it and puts it on. I frown and stand up. I walk away and smoke my cigar.