Chapter 70: Quiet interrogation

Venom Snake's POV

I am back in my quarters. But once again, another call from Kaz.

Kaz: Code Talker examined everyone here, and... one of us is infected.

Venom Snake: Who?!

Kaz: It's Quiet.

Venom Snake: Quiet?!

Kaz: It was our cutting-edge MRI that finally revealed it. But we don't know what language strain it is. It's time for her to talk. You know the room number - "101."

Venom Snake: I'm on my way...

I leave my quarters and head to the room. I meet Kaz outside the room. We both go in together. Quiet has a bag on her head. Ocelot is watching as our soldiers torture her. 

Kaz: Anything?

Ocelot: Still living up to her name.

Kaz looks at Quiet.

Kaz: How about you drop the act?

A soldier takes off the bag on Quiet. She looks at all of us.

Kaz: Who infected you with the parasite?

Ocelot: We can't let her talk! Put it back!

Kaz: All I want's a name. That won't trigger anything.

Kaz looks back at Quiet.

Kaz: Tell me. Tell me!

Quiet remains silent. A soldier walks over with x-rays.

Kaz: Your lungs have been barbecued.

Quiet looks at the x-rays.

Kaz: There're traces of rubbing alcohol on your alveoli.

Our soldier grabs a plastic bag and shows it to Quiet.

Kaz: This was found adhered to your lungs - intact. A petal. White Star-of-Bethlehem. The hospital... Skull Face sent you to Cyprus to kill Snake. You were burned inside and out. That should have been the end of it. But... All things considered. You look pretty damn healthy to me. We have Skull Face to thank for that, right?

Code Talker: I was the only one capable of applying them to parasite therapy - until he stole them from me.

Kaz still looks at Quiet.

Kaz: Why are you here? Did Skull Face send you? Or did you have your own score to settle with the Boss?

The soldier grabs a bucket of water, and splash's Quiet with it. Quiet starts burning.

Kaz: Refreshing? Salt water.

Code Talker: No! She'll die!

Quiet continues to burn from the salt water.

Kaz: His life isn't yours to take.

I felt bad for Quiet. Even though she tried to kill me multiple times, she ended up saving me. And she's starting to change for the better. She doesn't deserve this treatment. I am about to walk over and put a stop to this, but Ocelot beats me to it.

Ocelot: Enough. That's Enough.

Ocelot pours fresh water on her, stopping her pain.

Ocelot: If she wanted to kill the Boss, he'd already be dead. Same goes for us. She's had plenty of chances. She can't talk, and she's not here to kill anyone. You're wasting your time. It doesn't matter why she's here, she works for you now.

Ocelot says that last part pointing at me.

Ocelot: She's in love with the legend.

I look at Quiet. Quiet looks back at me, with a guilty face.

Kaz: What makes you so sure?

Ocelot: I was the same way once.

Kaz: What if she's a spy?

Ocelot: What if I'm a spy? Or you? We could go all day.

Ocelot walks out of the room. I walk up to Kaz.

Kaz: Boss.

Venom Snake: Let her go. She won't speak, so she can't spread the infection.

Kaz signs, then grunts. He bumps into me as he limps out of the room. The soldier salutes, then walks out of the room. I take out my knife and cut off Quiet's binds, freeing her. I then walk out of the room as Quiet stares at me.