Chapter 67: Shining Lights, Even in Death

Venom Snake's POV

I am still in the ACC. I get an important call from Kaz.

Kaz: Boss, we have an emergency.

Venom Snake: What's wrong?

Kaz: There's been another outbreak of the vocal cord parasites on the base. Several men are dead.

Venom Snake: WHAT?!?! HOW?!

Kaz: It started in the Laboratory on the Quarantine Platform, where that radiation leak occurred. If only just deployed the Security Team... I've sent in a rescue team to help, but they haven't returned. Boss, I need you on this. Come back to Mother Base ASAP.

Venom Snake: I'll be there as quick as I can!

Timeskip

The chopper flies me back to Mother Base. Kaz calls.

Kaz: Here we go again... There's been another outbreak in the Laboratory - the Quarantine Platform. We sent a team to investigate and recover the survivors, but they haven't returned.

The chopper lands. I get out and see Kaz and our soldiers.

Kaz: Nothing on the radio, either. We've got a backup team ready to go. Just give the order...

Venom Snake: I'll go. Alone.

I turn around to start walking back to the chopper. But Kaz grabs my arm. His crutch falls.

Kaz: Boss, what are you-- There's no need for that.

Venom Snake: We can't afford to lose anyone else.

Kaz: We have no idea what's going on in there!

Venom Snake: Exactly. Anyone still alive's at their breaking point. Last thing we need is another unit storming in.

I grab Kaz's crutch and give it back to him.

Venom Snake: No telling how they'd react.

Kaz thinks.

Kaz: Fine. First off, check how much the infection has spread. Rescue comes next - after we know the situation. When you're ready to move, just use the iDroid.

Kaz limps away. The soldiers follow him. I get back in the chopper.

Timeskip

I am in the ACC.

Kaz: Boss, let's go over the situation again. We've got another parasite outbreak in the Laboratory on the Quarantine Platform.

I get a recording. It shows the rescue team inside the facility. It shows soldiers looking around. They show dead doctors.

Soldier 1: What is this?!

Soldier 2: No idea.

Soldier 1: Damnit!

One of the dead doctors start twitching.

Soldier 1: What the...?!

All doctors start doing the same.

Soldier 1: Shit!

Soldier 2: Stay back! Stay back!!

One of the doctors got up.

Soldier 2: Watch out!

The doctors attack the soldiers. I see them die as the recording ends.

Kaz: We've sealed all the exits to keep it from spreading. No one's getting out.

The chopper starts taking me to the Quarantine Platform.

Kaz: One of the researchers inside managed to isolate the parasite behind the outbreak. He faxed over his findings; Code Talker's analyzing them now.