I. Lazy.

Chaeyoung.

This is bound to happen I know. The refrigerator won't replenish itself. I already thought of ordering online, but I might not get the quality that I need.

So, I have no choice but to force my lazy self to move. In 30 minutes, I finished getting ready and I got a notification on my phone that my ride is here.

It took 20 minutes to get to the grocery. As soon as I arrived I took a cart and began loading it.

After getting what I need, I went looking for the isle for chocolates. When I found it I got two of each of my faves and then went straight to the cashier. I found one with only one customer.

While waiting, I took my phone out and check my email that's when I heard a faint bang by the counter. I looked at the front where I noticed the cashier started to raise her voice while talking to the customer.

I tried to hear what she was saying. She was talking slow as if talking to a kid and in a sarcastic tone. She was saying something about an item spilled as it was crashed by the weight of the milk. Saying that she have to pay for it since it was her fault cause she put the milk on top of it.

I was shocked. This is not the right way to treat customers. Clearly the customer might be a foreigner. Even if the cashier was having a rough day, still this ain't right.

I need to step in.

Me: Excuse me? What did you say to my girlfriend?

I said it in English as I went beside the girl, with my right hand I took her hand. It was surprisingly cold and yet I feel warm holding it.

The cashier clearly look annoyed, thinking she would have to talk to another foreigner. She then gestured no.

Cashier: English, No. (In english)

She then pointed at the girl and said in korean that she have to pay for the damaged item.

She annoyingly cast aside strands of her hair from her face.

Cashier: These foreigners are stupid. At this early hour im already dealing with this shit. I'm surrounded by stupid people at home and here too! Ughh Can this day get any worse?

She was mumbling but I can hear her clearly. Now that made me mad. She's way out of the line.

Me: oh really! now you're calling her stupid. That is not how you talk to your customer. I don't care if your having a rough day but it's not right you lashed your problems to anyone!

The cashier was clearly shocked with me talking in korean. I then felt the girl hold on to my arm maybe asking me to stop. I then heard her say a faint 'hey'.

I can feel my self shaking with anger but when I heard her and looked at her, I felt the need to calm myself. I then took a deep breath calming myself.

Me: Bullying a foreigner. Raising your voice on my shocked girlfriend, how you sarcastically explain even scold her. And calling her stupid. Are you really fit to work here?

The cashier turned red in the face. Was about to say something when I cut her off.

Me: don't even think about it. I don't wanna hear more. Call your supervisor.

The cashier wasn't moving, she just bend her head down. I went around and talked to the other cashier.

Me: Hi. Sorry. Don't mean to cut you off. Can you please call your supervisor for me? Your colleague there seems incapable of doing it.

Cashier 2: Certainly. Kindly give me a moment.

She took a flag and put it high over her head. I went back to the girl. Stood in front of her both my hands on her arms.

Me: Are you okay honey?

I asked in English. I was unable to see her face cause she was wearing a mask and a bonnet. I just looked at her straight in her eyes. I felt something strange on my tummy as i said 'honey', but ignored it for the girl looked shaken.

Her: I... I'm okay. You don't have to...

She replies in english too.

Me: I need to. It's way out of line

After a few seconds A woman in a black blouse and a pencil skirt approached us when the cashier told her I'm the one asking for her.

Supervisor: Hi I'm Lia one of the supervisors here. I was told you asked for me.

When i turned to look at her, I unknowingly took hold of the girl's hand again.

I told the supervisor what happened even she was shocked hearing it. She looked at the cashier who still have her head down and now sniffing.

Supervisor: I am so sorry for how my staff behaved. There's no excuse for how she reacted.

She bowed to us. Turned to the cashier and told her go to the office and wait for her. She faced us once more with an apologetic smile.

Supervisor: I'll take it from here and assist you further. Please accept our apologies and to compensate for the inconveniences, let me process your order and provide you a 30% discount plus a lifetime membership card to provide more discount for your future purchase.

She was good. That's how a professional handles this kind of situations.

Me:oh no. I think that's way too much isn't it honey.

I looked at her as she nods. Also noticing how good it feels to still have her hand in mine.

Supervisor: no, please. It's our small way of saying sorry. And I also assure you that this won't happen again. We'll reiterate to our staff the importance of treating our customers with respect. Please accept it, it's already embarrassing for us. Though this is little compared to what you have experienced.

Me: I see. Well, if you insist. Thank you.

Supervisor: No. Thank you.

She then started to continue loading the items. I separated my items and requested to the supervisor that those items will be bagged separately.

I suddenly felt the girl's hand tugging my arm.

Her: Hon, here.

I went stiff hearing her calling me hon. I then looked at her, her eyes shows that she's embarrassed. She then handed her card to me. But i already have my card out so I pushed hers towards her and gave mine to the supervisor.

Me: I got this hon.

I smiled at her. I wonder what she looks like. With just seeing her eyes I bet she's pretty. I like her perfume too, it's addictive. I don't know if it's a perfume or was it her herself that smelled so good. What am I thinking!

The supervisor handed back my card with two receipts and a green membership card.

Supervisor: I registered this membership card using your name on your credit card. You could already use that on your next purchase.

Me: Thank you. You were a great help.

Supervisor: I think we are the ones who should thank you for your understanding and I apologize once more.

I just smiled.

Me: oh uh... One more thing about the cashier. As annoying as she can be yet I don't want her to loose her job. Looks like she's having a hard time. If she can just change how she interacts with the customer she will be fine.

Supervisor: that's so kind of you. We'll keep that in mind. Thank you again.

Girl: Thank you.

She bowed to us both and we too bowed back. I then took both bags and looked at the girl.
I gestured for her to take my arm. She then took it and we made our way towards the exit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's note:

How was it? This is my first 😁
Waaaah! Can't believe I called myself an author. Hehehe.
I hope you guys liked it, though it's just the first chapter.