A Complicated Case

When I was born, I looked like a average baby. I was a healthy seven pounds, six ounces. I even measured nineteen inches long. There seemed to be nothing wrong with me. I hit all my milestones on time and grew at a normal rate.

That was until I physically stopped growing at the age of three. My mind grew but my body didn't. My face and body even stayed the same. My Mom and Dad took me to doctors, specialists, anybody they could find. Still, no diagnosis. It wasn't until the age of six, when my parents couldn't do it anymore.

One day my parents just left. They left a note for me, telling me that they couldn't do it anymore. I waited days for them to come home but they never did. It wasn't until the food ran out that I decided to make a phone call to the police.

The police came to the apartment and upon reading the note, took me to the police station where I was greeted by a social worker. A few months later my parents were arrested two states over for child neglect and child endangerment.

I was placed in a temporary foster home and stayed there for a few months. After that I was moving around "homes" for many years. Some were good and some were bad.

That brings us to now. I'm currently fourteen but am the size of a toddler. People don't realize how lucky they have it. The world isn't built for people like me. For instance, toilets, sinks, bathtubs, chairs, basically everything is too tall for me to reach.

In this foster home, I have to use a toddler potty. I'm too small to reach the normal toilet without help. If that's not embarrassing enough, I also have to use a stool to climb up into my twin sized bed. Don't even get me started on clothes.

Instead of being able to wear cute clothes as normal teenagers do, I have to make do with toddler clothes. My underwear have princesses on them or the days of the week. My shirts are often bright colors and my shoes have velcro on them.

School is also weird. My foster Mom, Sheila, has to bring me to school early so I don't get trampled by crowds. Also, instead of switching classes during the day, I stay in one classroom and my work is brought to me.

Not to mention, the part about having no friends. People think I'm a freak. For crying out loud, I don't even have boobs or pubic hair. I haven't even gone through puberty. I'm truly stuck in a three year olds body.

One of the things that's most depressing for me is, I'll never be able to have a boyfriend or girlfriend, I can't have children of my own, drive a car, or even get a job. I don't even know why I go to school to be honest.

For a while, my only bright side was that I'm cute so I might get adopted quickly. I'm pretty cute if I do say so myself. I have curly blonde hair, big hazel eyes, and pretty lips. I thought that would be enough to catch a family's attention. I thought wrong. People want kids who "grow up" and can start to do things on their own. I'll never be like that. I need help with pretty much everything.

"Mila! Can you come down here please?" Sheila yells from the bottom of the steps.

"Coming!" I yell back.

I roll over on my bed so I'm on my stomach and scoot so my legs are hanging over the edge. I drop down and make my way downstairs.

"Mila, can you have a seat for me? I have some good news!" Shiela has a big smile on her face. I think I know what this is about.

I make my way to the couch and pull myself up on it. "So, we have a potential family that's coming to see you. The family and I have been talking for about a month. They know your issues and are still interested. I'm sorry to rush this on you but they'll be here in about a half an hour."

I just nod my head and turn to get down off the couch. I know how this goes, they'll want me for a few weeks until they realize the work they have to do for the rest of their lives. This isn't my first rodeo.

I climb the stairs and read in my room until I hear the doorbell ring. I hear muffled voices for a bit before Sheila calls me to come down.

I huff and make my way down the stairs. There's a man and a woman sitting on the sofa with mugs in their hands. The woman has tan skin, brown eyes and hair, and is wearing fashionable clothing. The man has fair skin, blonde hair, and green eyes.

"Come on in Mila. This is Hazel and Theodore." Shiela says. Pointing to the woman then the male.

Hazel and Theodore's eyes turn to me and they give me a large smile. They wave me over to the couch and move so I can sit between them. I pull myself up on the couch and stick my legs out. My feet don't even reach the edge.

"I'll leave you alone to talk." Sheila says. She gets up and leaves the room.

I fold my hands in my lap and play with my fingers. There's awkward silence for a bit before Theodore starts to speak.

"Why don't we tell you a little bit about ourselves? As Sheila explained, I'm Theo and my wife's name is Hazel. I'm a lawyer and Hazel's a interior designer. Hazel and I have been wanting a little girl for a while now but..." I cut Theo off before he can continue speaking.

"You do understand that I'm not a little girl right? I may look like one but I have the mind of a fourteen year old. You have to realize, I'm not going to grow up. I'll be this size for the rest of my life. I'll need help with a lot of things. I can't even reach the sink to wash my hands for myself. People think they want me and return me within six months. I can't go through that again. I just can't." I didn't realize I was crying till I was pulled into Hazel's arms.

She pushes my head into her neck and rocks me back and fourth. I know this makes me seem more like the toddler I look like, but nobody's held me in a long time. "Shhh pretty girl. We know what we're signing ourselves up for. If it's okay,
why don't we ask Sheila if we can go out to dinner?" Hazel asks.

I just nod my head and continue to sniffle. I hear Theo get up and presume he's going to ask Sheila if going outs okay.

Hazel continues to rub my back then stands up. "We're good to go. We just need to have her back before 10:30." Theo says.

We leave the house and walk to their car. It's a four door black Audi. Hazel places me in the backseat and buckles me in. She makes a weird face when she sees how small I am in the backseat of her car.

"We'll have to get you a car seat sweetie. It's not safe for you to sit like this." Hazel explains.

I know it's not safe but my pride doesn't like the hit it takes. I just nod and stay quiet. Theo and Hazel get in the car and start to drive off. "Where would you like to eat?" Theo asks.

"I don't know. I'm okay with whatever." I say.

"How about Olive Garden?" Hazel chimes in.

"That's fine."

I lay my head against the car door and close my eyes. Car rides always make me feel sleepy. The last thing I hear is a small coo and whispers from the couple.