Frustrating Toddlers And Cuddly Fathers

Hazel POV:

Little giggles float down the hall as I sit behind my desk. Theo's off at work and I'm working on a new design. It's not very tedious work but with a toddler in the house, it takes twice as long. "Pea, what are you doing?" I shout through my open office door.

Mila streaks down the hallway with Luna following her. Luna's tail is wagging as she follows close behind her. "I wunnin, Mama." Mila tells me as she peeks her head around the corner.

Her full body isn't in view and I know it's because she's naked. That's Mila's new thing, running around naked. "You're running around? But where did your clothes go?" I question while trying to keep a smile off my face.

She points to the dog and says, "Wuna twook 'em."

Luna looks up at Mila like she just said the craziest thing in the world. Even the dog knows that was a bold faced lie. "Mila, did you take your clothes off again?"

"Nu, Mama." She answers. Her eyes drift towards the ceiling and she slips her thumb in her mouth. That's Mila's telltale sign of her lying.

"Do you want a timeout, pea? You know Mama doesn't like lies and I think you're lying." I try once more. I'm too busy to give her a timeout right now, so I'm hoping she'll tell the truth.

Mila fidgets with her hands a little bit until she gives a hesitant nod. She turns the corner and walks into my office, naked as the day she was born. Luna follows behind her and plops down on my feet under my desk. "Where did you put your clothes and diapee?" I ask my guilty looking princess.

"Miwa dunno." She answers as she climbs up onto my lap. She nuzzles into my chest and tries to lift my shirt. Probably hoping I'll forget about putting clothes on her.

"Well, I think Luna will tell me if you don't." I raise my eyebrow at her and pull my shirt back down. She can nurse after I find where she stashed her clothes and diaper.

"Wuna no twell!" Mila yells at the dog. Luna looks up from her spot on my feet, huffs, then lays back down.

"Pea, unless you want your tablet taken away, you need to tell Mama where you put your clothes. Can you show me?" I gently ask.

Mila thinks about it for a second then scoots off my lap. She grabs my right hand and proceeds to lead me down to the living room and behind the couch. Laying there on the floor are her discarded clothes and a dirty diaper. "Thank you for showing Mama. Pick up your clothes and bring them to your room, please."

She bends down to pick up her clothes and runs towards the stairs. She climbs them one at a time, then I hear her footsteps running overhead towards her room.

Sighing, I bend down and grab the diaper and throw it in the trash. Mila's upstairs playing with Luna again. The little taps of Luna's nails on the floor grating on my already frayed nerves. I head back upstairs and into Mila's nursery. After grabbing a new diaper, I go on a search for my little naked baby.

I find her trying to wiggle under Theo and I's bed. Instead of asking nicely for her to come out like I should've done, I grab her ankle and drag her out from under the bed. I'm not rough, though. "Mila, it's time to get a diaper on. Don't make me call Daddy because you won't listen."

That seems to do the trick. She lays still on her back so I can change her. I finish quickly and pick her up, walking us back to my office. Sitting down, I lift my shirt so Mila can nurse. Hopefully she'll nurse for a while so I can work.

With one hand on Mila's back, I use the other to scroll through photos. This couple wants a complete redo of their living room. Including new hardwood floors. The color scheme they chose is difficult to work with and I can feel the stress headache building behind my eyes.