Steps

Mila POV:

"Come on Mila, open your mouth." I faintly hear Daddy's voice. Opening my mouth slightly, I feel the nipple of a bottle enter my mouth. I suck a little bit tasting Mommy's milk.

"There you go, good girl." Daddy pats my butt while I eat and hums softly.

My body hurts so bad. Even being moved a little bit makes me cry. My chest feels like it's on fire and my arms and legs are constantly in pain. All I want to do is cuddle with Mommy and Daddy.

I've been here for three days now. I just want to go home. I don't like the smell of the hospital and the nurses coming in and out of my room. I'm itchy and uncomfortable, which makes me whine and cry all the time.

Lifting my heavy arm up, I play with Daddy's chest hair. "Good morning, Theo. Where's your wife? I have good news!" I hear a chipper nurse ask.

"She's in the shower. What's the news?" Dada asks.

"As soon as Mila takes a couple steps by herself, she can be moved out of the ICU." The nurse chirps.

"Wow! That's amazing. Thank you." Dada responds.

"After she's done eating, we can have her walk."

"Thank you so much, I'll make sure to press the nurses button when she's done."

I snuggle closer to Daddy's warmth and open my eyes. "There she is!" Daddy coos.

I spit the nipple of the bottle out and turn my head when I hear a door open. "Hello, baby bee." Mommy says. Her hair is wet and she's dressed in a pair of sweats.

"Mama." I lift my arms towards her. Just that action takes a lot of effort.

Mommy comes over to me and gives me a kiss on the cheek. "Did she eat?" Mommy asks Daddy.

"A little bit. Not even half, I think it's because of the bottle. We got a solely breastfed baby here." Daddy chuckles.

"I do have some good news! The doctor said that Mila could be moved out of the ICU as soon as she can walk a few steps."

"Oh my god! That's so good!" Mommy almost yells her excitement.

"Come on, let's call the nurse." Daddy suggests.

Mommy presses the button and two nurses walk in the room. "You ready to take a few steps, Mila?" The nurse asks.

I grunt and move closer to Daddy. "Here's what were going to do Hazel, I'm going to have you sit on the floor by the door to encourage her. I'm going to be walking behind her to make sure she doesn't get hurt if she falls. Theo, can you place her on the floor?" The nurse says.

I'm placed on the floor and I immediately start to cry. I don't want this! I want to cuddle Daddy. My legs hurt and so does everything else. Why are they even making me do this?

"Come on baby, come to Mommy. I promise you can have some cuddles once you get over here."

I go to take a step and my legs wobble. I feel the nurses hands lightly grazing my armpits, preparing to catch me if I fall. After another step I wobble and go to fall on my butt, but the nurse catches me.

"Try again, Mila. It's okay." I hear the nurse say through my tears.

"Try again for Mommy. Just a little bit more, ladybug." Mama says. She's squatting down with outstretched arms and a smile on her face.

After a few more steps, I finally make it to Mommy. She carefully picks me up and shushes my cries. "Good job! You did so good!"

I cry into her neck while she pats my back. "You did so good! Mama and Dada are so proud."