Daddy's Office

(Chapter idea inspired by @epilover1 Thank you for the chapter suggestions! Feel free to leave more in the comments or on my page!)

Theo POV:

Ever since the intruders broke into our house, Mila and Kai haven't been left alone. If we're not at the house, they aren't either. It makes it easier because Kai started school and I can take Mila into work with me. Even Hazel has been doing her work at her downtown office.

We've been thinking of moving since the incident. Our house just doesn't feel as secure anymore. We all aren't comfortable in our own home, so Hazel and I have been browsing realty websites.

We have a house tour set up with a nice house in a gated neighborhood. Nobody can get in there without a passcode. It'll help all of us feel more secure.

New house forgotten for now, I have to bring Mila into work today. She's dead asleep in her carseat, no care in the world. It's still way too early for her to be awake. The sun is still hardly up and there's a chill in the air.

I'm hoping that she'll be on her best behavior, but I doubt it. My little girl always gets wild when we go into my office. I think it's the excitement at seeing where her Daddy works and playing with all the things she's not supposed to.

My baby is fascinated with the copy machine. She'll run off to watch people make copies of boring paperwork and being the softies that most of my coworkers are, they'll pick her up so she can watch them make copies.

Mila has all of them wrapped around her chubby fingers. They all love my little girl, which is something I don't mind.

I pull into my designated parking spot and cut the engine, grabbing Mila's diaper bag out of the passenger seat. There's several bottles of breastmilk, her iPad, lots of snacks, some coloring sheets with her markers, and of course the typical diapers and wipes.

After grabbing a still sleeping Mila out of the back, I head up to my office. Everybody coos over Mila as I walk through the cubicles. She's wearing a white long sleeved onesie, with a pink tutu, and a pair of tights. The outfit is completed with a pair of white ballet flats.

Her hair is done up in two space buns with white bows wrapped around them. My baby looks like an angel.

"Oh my goodness! Look who visited us today." One of the women whisper shouts, standing up from her desk and coming over to me.

I smile an angle my body so she can see Mila's sleeping face that's resting on my shoulder. Her cheek is mushed up, causing her pink bow lips to pucker.

"Can I hold her?" My coworker, Angela asks.

"When she wakes up. I want to keep her sleeping for as long as possible. Hazel and I are trying to keep her sleep routine and if she wakes up, she'll nap early." I reply apologetically.

Angela puts a friendly hand on my shoulder and nods in understanding. "Trust me, I get it. I've had three little ones of my own. They're grown and out of the house now, but they were terrors when their sleep schedules were off."

I chuckle and nod. Angela walks back to her desk and continues her work. I finally make it into my office and quietly close the door behind me. There's a shit ton of work to be done. Especially because I'm working on my own cause against the intruders.

It's frowned upon to do so, but I only trust my skills to go over this case. These men broke into my house, terrorized my children, and sent Kai spiraling backwards in his progress he's made since he came to live with us.

He's no longer the scared teenager covered in bruises. Kai was coming out of his shell, talking more, smiling, and even building a relationship with our family. That progress all went to shambles. My son is back in his shell, boxed in on himself.