Curious Little One

Hazel POV:

Theo's groan from beside me can be heard over the sound of Mila's crying. She's still in her newborn headspace and the crying hasn't stopped. Even Kai tried and he hasn't managed to get her to calm. At this point, I'm ready to tear my hair out.

My breasts are leaky and sore, my patience thinning, and Theo isn't fairing much better.

"I'm coming, pea!" I yell into the room as I toss the warm, heavy comforter off my body.

Mila's currently in her nursery and I make my way there now. When I turn on the light switch, I see that she's lying on her back and red faced. Tears are rolling down my baby's chubby cheeks and leaking down onto the mattress. "Come here, pea. Mama has you." I coo softly as I lean up over the crib railing to lift Mila out.

She's still wailing when I move to the rocking chair and lift my shirt. The problem is that she won't even latch on. I try everything in my power; squeezing my breast to get the milk on her tongue, rubbing my nipple on her lips, I even try to close her jaw, but nothing works.

Eventually, I just sigh and stand up, moving to the changing table. I lay her down and strip off the onesie she was wearing. As soon as I peel off the tabs on her diaper, I see what the problem is.

Mila has a nasty rash on her butt and private parts. The skin is red and irritated, a few patches looking raw. I gasp at the sight and immediately pick my naked baby up. Rushing into the bedroom, I yell for Theo to go thaw some breastmilk.

He shoots up out of the bed and goes to do what I ask without question. While he's doing that, I move to the bathroom and start the water in the tub. I'm hoping a breastmilk bath is going to help the rash. I'll get in with her too. A little breastmilk doesn't hurt me, I'm practically leaking it all the time anyways.

"Here, babe. Wha-" Theo stops when he sees the current state of Mila's butt. She's currently laying with her head on my shoulder, her bottom resting on my forearm for support.

"Yeah, I don't know how we missed this before. It's bad, Theo. I'm hoping the milk bath helps some." I tell him while watching the water fill in the tub.

Breastmilk has a lot of healing properties in it. It's good for the skin too. Whenever Mila has a rash, I try and get her in a breastmilk bath. It helps the affected skin and soothes her a lot.

Theo rushes towards the tub and rips open several bags of breastmilk, dumping them in the water. It turns the water a milky color and I reach over to turn the faucet off. "Take her so I can strip my clothes. I'm going to get in with her." I tell Theo while holding Mila out for him to take.

He eagerly takes our little girl out of my arms and rocks her gently. I quickly strip out of my clothes and hop into the bath. Theo hands over Mila and I pull her close to my chest. She calmed down the instant the warm water touched her skin.

Mila slowly blinks her eyes at me and proceeds to start rooting around on my chest. I guide my nipple into her mouth and lean back in the tub, watching my daughter as she nurses.

Turning my head towards Theo I ask, "Do you want to get in with us? I'm sure that Mila wants her Daddy too."

He eagerly nods at my suggestion and strips down until he's bare. Theo climbs into the tub behind me and I rest my head back against his shoulder. Theo's arms come to wrap around my waist, stroking Mila's back.

My husband watches our daughter nurse while she watches him in return over my shoulder. "Is that all better, ladybug? That milky must be good." Theo whispers.

All Mila does is suck harder on my nipple and blink her eyes at her Daddy. Theo chuckles and I feel his head move as he nods. "I bet that is good. I've tried it myself and it wasn't for me. I prefer milk out of the gallon."