Visitors

Theo POV:

Sitting next to Hazel while she nurses Mila, makes me realize how amazing of a mother she is. When that car crashed, her first though wasn't of me, it was of Mila. As it should be. I know I shouldn't let this guilt eat me alive, but I feel like I only have myself to blame. My little girl is laying in a hospital bed, covered in bruises, and injured all because of a man who decided to run a red light.

I felt like half a person before Mila came along. The moment Hazel and I saw her, we knew that she would be our baby forever. I don't see her as adopted, I see her as my own flesh and blood. The thought of her dying leaves a pit in my stomach. I honestly thought for a second in the car, that Mila was gone. I couldn't bury another child. It would break me.

I'm broken out of my thoughts when I hear the door open. Hazel and I's parents walk into the room. My mom runs over to Mila and stops the second she goes to touch her. "I... I don't know where to touch her. She's all wrapped up." Mom cries.

"You can touch her hand, but you can't pick her up. I had to have a nurse bring her over to me. Just be gentle." Hazel whispers.

Mom gently grabs Mila's hand and strokes the back of it with her thumb. "Hey beautiful, can you wake up for Teeta? I have a present for you." Mila's eyes slowly open and she instantly whines around Hazel's nipple.

"Oh I know, you don't feel good do you?" Hazel's Mom, Rose says.

"Wan gu teeta 'ouse." She cries.

"I know you wanted to come over. We'll just have to come over and stay the night with you, huh? Problem solved." My mom smiles, but I can tell she's trying to hold back her tears.

"We brought some stuff for you, son." My Dad says. He's never been one for emotional moments but I can tell he's close to breaking down too.

"Thanks Dad. It means a lot." I stand up and offer my seat to my Mom but she declines.

"You sit right back down in that chair. Mila needs you right now." She says softly.

I sit back down and stroke Mila's forehead with my thumb. Shes still latched on to Hazel, but she's stopped sucking. I think it's more of a comfort thing right now. Hazel doesn't mind and neither do I. If my babygirl wants to be close to her Mom, then so be it.

Hazel props her feet up and gently leans back. I can tell she's exhausted and wants to sleep but doesn't want to put down Mila. "Can you come help me get my bra off? It's digging into my back and I want it off." Hazel asks me.

I nod and help her take her bra off. "Did anybody bring a blanket?" I ask.

"Here, I picked it up out of her crib." Rose hands me Mila's blanket and I gently put it on Hazel. It doesn't cover everything, but at least her breasts aren't all the way out.

Our parents take seats around the room and get comfortable. Dad turns the TV on and the first image that pops up is the news. "Tonight on Chanel Nine News, a drunk driver smashed into a car today severely injuring a two year girl. The driver was reportedly on his way to the gas station to buy more alcohol when he ran a red light. The driver sustained minor injuries and his currently being held in jail awaiting bail. We have a video here of the girl being pulled out of the car by paramedics. Take a look."

The video shows a bloody Mila being taken out of our wrecked car. You can hear her screams and cries on the video. She's laid down on the stretcher where Hazel and I run up to her. Both of us looking panicked and distraught. This is disgusting. How can somebody record something like this and then post it on the internet.

"Shut it off." I tell my Dad.

He changes the channel to sports and gives me a sympathetic look. "Sorry, son."