Mommy and Me

(Some aspects of this chapter we're inspired by NerdyKing22 thank you for your suggestion!)

Hazel POV:

A few weeks ago I decided to sign Mila up for a Mommy and me gymnastics class. It'll give her the opportunity to make friends and give me the opportunity to talk to people my own age. As much as I love Mila, I need some friends my own age for sanity sake.

"Pea? What are you doing?" I ask for the hundredth time today. It's only eleven in the morning and this girl is out of control. She's convinced that she's a big girl today. That means being wildly independent and not listening to me.

Right now she's trying to dress herself for our gymnastic class. The floor of her room is scattered with clothes and her dresser drawers are all open. Out of all the days she decided she needed to be a 'Big Girl' it had to be today. "Miwa dwess wike a big gurl!" Mila yells as she tries to put her foot through the arm hole of her leotard.

I really don't have the time to deal with this today, but I'll let her try and figure it out herself. She needs to learn that it's okay to ask for help and that Mama will always be there for her. "Okay, Mama will be right here if you need help." I tell her, moving through the mess of clothes to sit down in the rocking chair.

Mila grunts from the effort of trying to stick her chubby legs through the wrong hole. She's sitting down on the ground and wiggling a bit, legs out in front of her body while her hands try to pull up the leotard. Her cheeks are red from the effort it's taking and her blonde hair keeps falling in front of her eyes.

Eventually, Mila has enough. She kicks the leotard off and flops down on the floor, bursting into tears. Instead of helping her, I sit and gently rock myself. She knows that I'm here to help. I just have to let her come to me.

Kids learn through their own mistakes. If I tried to help Mila instead of letting her do it herself, it would teach her that she doesn't need to ask for help; that I'm automatically going to everything for her.

A big thing I'm doing right now is teaching Mila how to ask for help when she needs it. Wether that be a diaper change, eating, or even dressing herself.

Her crying eventually stops and she stands up. She sloppily pushes her hair out of her eyes, and walks over to me. She rests her head on my knees and I lean down and pick her up. "Do you need help, pea?" I gently ask.

Mila rests her head on my shoulder and gently pats my cheek. After sucking up snot right next to my ear she says, "Mama 'elp Miwa, pease?"

I pat her back and stand up, careful not to trip over the piles of clothes strewn all over the floor. Mila lays still as I set her down on the changing table. Struggling to get that leotard on must've taken all her energy. "Yes, I'll help you baby. You are a big girl and Mama will always be there to help you. Thank you for telling Mommy that you needed help." I praise.

Grabbing her pink and purple leotard off the floor, I get to work putting it on her. I also make sure to grab sweatpants to go over it because it's chilly outside. "You ready to go to gymnastics?" I ask enthusiastically.

"Dada com?" Mila asks.

I shake my head and lift her up off the changing table. She knows her Daddy's at
work but still asks every now and then. "No, Daddy isn't coming. He has to work and make money's for you and me." I joke as I tickle her belly.

Before heading to the car, I let Luna in from outside and make sure all the doors are locked. I slip on some shoes then head out the garage door. "Let's go!" I enthuse after buckling Mila into her car seat.