Newborns and Sushi

Hazel POV:

It's been two days since the mall incident and since then, Mila's not come out of newborn headspace. Theo took off work for the week so he could help me with our baby. She's being extremely clingy and will sob if one of us put her down. I've taken to carrying her around in a sling so at least I have my hands free.

She's also sleeping in Theo and I's bed. Normally, we would try to get Mila to sleep in her crib, but we're making an exception now. We both want her close by. Especially because she's been having nightmares and waking up several times in the night.

"Babe, the baby's awake." Theo whispers while pointing at the baby swing. We recently bought one for her before the mall incident, and it's been a blessing while she's in her newborn headspace. The rocking motion and the soothing music keeps her asleep so Theo and I don't have to hold her while she's napping.

I look down at the foot of the couch where Mila's swing rests, and see she's beginning to wake up. She's nursing the fist that's in her mouth and wiggling here and there, making cute baby noises. Standing up, I move towards the swing and stop it before carefully unbuckling her.

I make sure to support her head and neck as I lift her out of the swing. She still isn't fully awake yet, but she's beginning to root around on my chest. I'm only wearing a tank top and a pair of pajama shorts because there's no time to beautify when you have a hungry baby attached to your chest.

"Shhh, it's okay. Mama's here, pea." I tell Mila as I take a seat on the couch next to Theo. He's watching my every interaction with our girl, probably waiting on a chance to hold her. Whenever Mila's in a newborn headspace, she wants to be near me more than Theo. Not because she doesn't like him, but because I have milk and he doesn't.

Unlatching the clip on my tank top, I pop out my left breast and rub my nipple across her lips. She latches on without problem and begins to slowly suckle. Theo reaches over and plays with her socked foot. "We need to get her out of the house. Maybe we should take her out to lunch. Definitely not at the mall but maybe at a local restaurant?" Theo asks while running his thumb along the sole of Mila's foot.

That sounds like a good idea. It'll be easier if Mila's in her newborn headspace too. "I'm down. I'll go get the baby ready while you grab the diaper bag. I'll also need to get dressed. Give us twenty minutes." I tell Theo before standing up, making sure Mila's head is supported in the crook of my arm.

She's still nursing but she can finish at the restaurant. She probably won't eat anything, but it's worth a shot. We've been having to slip supplements in her bottles the past two days since she refuses to eat solid food. It's stressful but I love when Mila's in her newborn headspace.

The only thing I don't like is how she got into it...

I walk upstairs and slip into Mila's nursery. We've added a mobile to hang above her crib and it's currently playing a soft song. There's bright light coming in from her curtains so I don't bother turning on the overhead light, I just lay my baby down on the changing table and get to work changing her diaper.

Mila fussed when I pulled her off my breast but quickly calmed down when I put a pacifier in her mouth. It's one of the ones hospitals give you that are nearly see through in the middle. It's weird watching the inside of her mouth suckle the fake nipple. Her teeth don't bite down but her tongue moves.

Once her diapers changed I move to find some clothes in the dresser for her to wear. As soon as I'm out of Mila's line of sight, a large cry exits her mouth. "Hush, it's okay. Mama's just grabbing some clothes for you."

My words don't calm her and I rush to pick out an outfit. I decide on a white and purple long sleeved onesie that says, 'New To The Crew' in black script, matching purple pants that have ruffles on the butt, and a pair of socks.