Too Cool For Public School

Theo POV:

It's been a week since Kai's been in the house and he grows more and more on us each day. We've given him time to settle in before we put him in school, and I think nows the perfect time to enroll him in our local public school.

It's Monday morning and the house is still quiet. Mila is sprawled out on the bed beside Hazel while I get ready. My two girls are both still asleep, dreaming away. Mila is still getting over the flu but she's mostly better now. She still has the occasional cough and sniffle, but otherwise she's fine.

Once I have my suit with no tie put on, I make my way into Kai's room to make sure he's getting up and dressed. I knock on the door and peak into the room. What I see makes my heart stop. Kai is thrashing around in his sleep begging for some unknown person to stop.

If I had to guess, it's probably a nightmare about his so called father.

Rushing over to the bed, I put one knee on the mattress while my other is firmly planted on the floor. I place my hands on both of Kai's shoulders and give him a gentle shake. "Kai, wake up! You're okay. It's okay!"

Kai's eyes fly open and he pants heavily. Sweat is dotting his brow and he's looking back and forth between me and the door. "You're okay. I'm here." I tell him while wrapping my arms around his sweaty body.

Instead of pushing me away like I thought he would, Kai wraps his arms around me for dear life. His shoulders shake with sobs and I feel them leak through my shirt. I just sit there, holding this boy who's been through more than most people go through in a lifetime.

"I don't want to go back, Theo. I'm scared they'll send me back." He whispers while digging his nails into my back.

The thing is, I can't promise that they won't send him back. I literally can't. It would be a lie and we both know it. So I say the next best thing, "I will do everything in my power to make sure you don't go back there. I can promise you that, Malikai."

I hold Kai while he slowly pieces himself together. It may have been twenty minutes or an hour. All I know is that I had to take care of this boy.

Eventually, he sits up and wipes his palm down his face; smearing his tears that fell. I'm about to open my mouth to say something, when the door to Kai's room is thrown open and a naked Mila comes charging in.

"Hai Dada an' Kai!" My naked baby announces while trying to climb up the bed.

Kai releases a much needed laugh and helps Mila up onto the bed. "Mila, where are your clothes?" I ask while shaking my head.

"Miwa dunno, Dada." She answers while shaking her pasty, white bum while she holds onto Kai's arm.

"You're going to pee pee on Kai's bed. How about we go find Mommy, get a diapee on and then you can have some milky." I suggest while stroking the top of Mila's head.

"Otay!" Mila replies while jumping on the bed.

I quickly pick her up and hold my baby upside down while I walk back into my bedroom. She giggles the whole way there but the sound stops when I walk into my bedroom and see Luna chewing up a dirty diaper.

"Wuna eatin Miwa's diapee." Mila says whole pointing to the dog.

"Yup, that's because you left it on the floor." Hazel suddenly says while walking out of the bathroom. She's putting in a pair of earrings and looks pissed off.

"Nu I weft it on da bwed!" Mila replies while pointing where her discarded pajamas are resting on the bed.

Hazel just shakes her head and clucks her tongue. I know that face, that's the 'Mila's going to timeout' face. "Go sit in that corner. You know better then to take off your diaper." Hazel points to the corner of our room and Mila immediately bursts into crocodile tears.