Waiting

Hazel POV:

After Mila was finished with her scans, a nurse rushed out to tell me they had to take her into emergency surgery. Mila's spleen ruptured during the accident causing internal bleeding.

Since then, we've been waiting here. It's been about eight hours and Theo and I are both exhausted. I'm leaning on Theo's shoulder when a tired looking nurse walks into the room. "Thomas family?"

Theo and I instantly shoot up out of our seats and practically run to the nurse. "How is she?"

"We stopped the bleeding and removed her spleen. She has a slight concussion and is going to be sore and tired. The cuts she suffered from the glass didn't need any stitches and should heal with time with no scaring. We're going to keep her for a while just to monitor her. She's still asleep and should be waking up soon. If you follow me, I can take you to see her."

Theo and I breathe out a sigh of relief and follow the nurse up to the pediatric ICU. We're taken down sterile halls until we come to a stop in front of Mila's room. "The doctor will be into speak with you can touch her, but don't pick her up."

We give the nurse our thanks and rush into Mila's room. My poor little girl is in a hospital crib and her eyes are closed. Dark purple shadows are under her eyes, and multiple bandages are wrapped around her arms and legs. An oxygen tube sits under her nose and there's an IV in her arm.

I rush over to her bedside and gently grab her hand. "Mila, Mommy and Daddy are here. You're such a good girl, my love. We're so sorry this happened to you." I lean down and kiss her hair.

"We'll be here when you wake up, Mila. We love you so much. You are going to get so many presents when we get home." Theo says through his tears.

We spend twenty more minutes with Mila before she starts to stir. Her eyes flutter but don't open and she instantly starts crying. "Owwwie." She whispers. Her voice is quiet and strained but it's still a relief to hear.

"Can you hear Mommy and Daddy, Mila? Open those pretty eyes for us." Theo asks her.

I can see she's struggling to open her eyes. I can tell she's getting frustrated, her eyebrows furrow and she lets out a little whine. "Gu home?" She whispers in her little high pitched voice.

"We can't go home quite yet, babygirl. You have to get a little bit better first." I quietly say.

My phone rings just then and I rush to answer it so it doesn't disturb Mila. "Hi Mom." I sniffle.

"I saw you guys on the news! Are you guys okay? I saw video of them pulling Mila out of the car. Please tell me she's okay!" Mom rushes out.

"Mila just got out of emergency surgery. Her spleen burst and they had to remove it. The glass didn't cut too deep and didn't need stitches. She also has a mild concussion. She's just waking up now we're trying to get her to open her eyes."

"Facetime me. I want to talk to her." I tap the FaceTime button and my moms teary eyed face shows up on screen. I lean over and put the phone in front of Mila's face.

"Talk to her, Mom."

"Hi, Mila. Its Gammy, open those eyes for me please. I have a surprise for you." My mom encourages.

Mila finally opens her eyes a little bit and looks at the phone. Little tears are running down her cheeks and she's whimpering.

"There she is! Gammy got you some more blocks, a pretty baby, and a brand new stuffy!" Mom holds the items up and Mila gives her a little grunt.

She slowly turns her head towards me. "Ol me Mama." She whispers.

"I can't hold you yet, ladybug. We have to wait for the Doctor to make your owies better. I'm sorry."