Grownup Talk

Hazel POV:

I look down at a sleeping Mila on my lap. Her legs are on either side of mine and her heads resting on my chest. Her pacifier bobbing in her mouth. Leaning down, I kiss the top of her head. Inhaling the scent of her baby shampoo. I can't believe I'm a mother again. Mila is absolutely perfect. I never thought I would feel love like this again.

The love I for my husband is a different type of love than Mila's. I love them both equally but differently. I felt like I was made to be Mila's mom and Theo's wife. I was so deep in thought that I didn't notice the waiter approaching with our food.

"Here you go. Oh, she is precious. How old is she?" The waiter coos at Mila.

"She just turned two." I answer with a smile.

"She looks just like your husband! The same blond hair and everything. Anyways, y'all enjoy your meal."

The others begin to eat but I can't help but just stare at Mila. I pat her butt softly and rock gently back and fourth. "Motherhood looks good on you, Hazel." Theo's mom, Barb says.

"Thank you. She's the perfect addition to our family. She's so well behaved, hardly cries and Luna just loves her." I tell the table.

"Why don't you let me have her for a little bit? Give you some space to eat?" Barb suggests.

As much as I want to keep holding Mila, I know that I can't hog her. Especially since she's the only baby in the family. My siblings never wanted children and Theo's an only child.

I carefully stand up and pass Mila over to Barb. She whines a little bit but eventually settles back down. "She'll have to come have a sleepover with her Teeta and Grampy soon." Barb says. Gently patting her back.

"Once she's more settled in I'm sure she'll do just that." I answer with a smile.

Brunch is almost over when Mila starts to wake up. Barb gave her to my mother, Rose, a while ago so she could eat. "Mommy?" She asks while rubbing her eyes. Her pacifier still tucked firmly in her mouth.

"No, not Mommy. It's Gammy." My mom answers her. I see Mila's face scrunch up and know she's about to start crying. I go to get up but Theo stops me.

"I got it. I haven't held my baby yet today." He goes to Mila and takes her out of my moms arms. Mila automatically snuggles up to him.

"Dada." Mila hums while playing with his nose.

Theo's such a good father. He loves Mila with everything he has. Watching them interact with each other, you can tell they have a tight bond. I just knew she would be a Daddy's girl. "How's my sleepy girl? It's like like somebody went potty. Let's go fix that. Can you hand me the diaper bag, babe. I'm just going to go change her real quick."

"Yup, here you go." I hand him the bag and he walks off.

"He's a fantastic father. You can tell she loves him." Theo's father, Dan says.

"I think he was made to be a Dad. He dotes on Mila. He loves everything about her. She's already a Daddy's girl." I laugh.

We talk a bit more and Theo comes back from the bathroom. He tosses Mila in the air and I hold my breath until he catches her. I can hear her shouting, "Gain Dada, 'gain."

"One more time." He tosses her again and she shrieks with laughter.

Mila finally notices she's back at the table and holds her arms out for me. "Mama."

I take her in my arms and gently tickle her belly. "Well hello, little lady. Did you have a good nap?"

"Dweam Dada 'an Mama." She lisps around her pacifier.