Visitation

Hazel POV:

It's been a week since the fallout with the public school. Since then, we've scheduled a meeting with the private school close by. It isn't for another month but I'm hoping with some money, they'll push up the meeting.

That's not our biggest problem right now, though. Kai has a visitation with his Mom this morning. He's been stressing and I'm concerned about mental health. Not to mention, Mila has to come to the visitation because Theo has to work.

The thought of that woman seeing Mila sends shivers down my spine. Kai told the social workers his father would beat him when his mother wasn't around; but if that was the case, why is Kai so afraid of his mother?

Sighing, I throw the blankets off my body and walk over to Mila's crib. She's still asleep on her stomach. My baby's legs are tucked under her stomach with her little butt on the air. Her hair is a riot of blonde waves that are sprawled out on her pillow.

I hate to disturb her, but she needs to wake up if we're going to make it to this visit in time. Leaning over the bars of the gray crib, I carefully lift Mila out. An immediate whine leaves her mouth and I shush her. "It's okay, it's just Mommy." I whisper while rocking her back and forth.

Her head is resting in the crook of my neck while her body is pressed up against my upper chest. Poor thing is exhausted. Mila stayed up until two o'clock in the morning. She refused to sleep in her own crib until we eventually just let her cry it out.

It sounds like crappy parenting, but Theo and I need our bed to ourselves sometimes. Mila likes to kick and twist around in her sleep, making Theo and I exhausted in the morning. Now, I have a fussy baby and a foster son that I need to get ready.

Mila begins to root around my neck, looking for my nipple, and I immediately know she's in her newborn headspace. Today really isn't the day for that, but it's not like I can stop her. I'm just hoping it doesn't freak out Kai. Theo and I still haven't told him about Mila's real age and condition, but I know we'll have to have that talk soon.

I adjust Mila so she's in the crook of my arm, and lift up my shirt. I'm not wearing a bra because I just woke up, so my heavy breast pops right out. After I get Mila latched on, I cover her face with my shirt, then walk out of the room.

Kai still needs to be woken up and I'm hoping he's not in the midst of a nightmare. I'll have to set Mila down to comfort him and it's clear that she's content where she is.

Upon opening Kai's door, I smile when I see him awake and sitting up in bed. "Good morning, Kai." I whisper, trying not to disturb my nursing baby.

Mila's still latched onto my nipple, sucking strongly. I can feel some milk running down the underside of my breast but I don't care. As long as she's getting the nutrients she needs. "Good morning. How's the baby?" He asks while pointedly staring at Mila.

"She's better this morning. I think Mila just wants to be close to me today. Poor thing is exhausted." I explain while patting Mila's butt.

Her diaper is full and needs changed. One more pee in this thing, and it's going to leak. "Just wanted to make sure you were up and dressed. We're going to have breakfast with your mom, so don't eat anything. I'll be downstairs in ten minutes." I say before turning around and leaving the room.

Once I'm back in my room, I head to the bathroom and lay a towel down on the counter. Unlatching Mila doesn't go smoothly. She's clearly not done nursing and a wail leaves her mouth when I take my nipple out.

"Shhh, babygirl. You're going to get in the shower with Mama." I tell Mila after laying her down on the towel.

I quickly strip off her clothes and mine, before starting the water in the shower. While I wait for it to warm up, I brush my teeth and play peek-a-boo with my baby. She lets out the cutest little gurgles and I can't help but smile at her.