Stressful Travels

Hazel POV:

3:00 A.M. That's the time my alarm clock decides to wake me up. Quickly shutting it off so it doesn't wake Mila, I make my way to the bathroom. Theo's already awake and is packing the car. We decided to take a vacation to Jamaica before our maternity leave was up. We got way longer than the normal six weeks by using our vacation time.

Mila knows we're going on vacation but I don't think she's ready for the long flight. We fly out from Portland, have a stop in Atlanta, then finally we'll be in Jamaica. Our travel time is going to eleven hours in total, with layovers. She's not going to be a happy girl.

Theo and I packed a lot in her carry on bag, hoping that we could keep her distracted. If push comes to shove, we'll have her take a melatonin. It makes us sound like crappy parents, drugging our child, but I don't want her to disturb other passengers.

I quickly shower and dress in some comfortable clothes. We have to be at the airport in two hours to get through security on time. We also have to check several items, including her car seat.

Theo and I decided the best option was to push her in her stroller, but bring her carrier as well. That way she won't be running through airport crowds. "Hey, pea. Mommy's just going to get you dressed and changed. Go back to sleep." I whisper to Mila as I lift her out of her crib.

She mumbles a protest but I quickly push her Nuk into her mouth. I change her into a cute white romper with a floral design, a black cardigan, grey hair bow, and a matching pair of booties.

"Hey, babe. Did you pack our passports?" Theo whispers as he walks into the room.

"Yes, they're in my purse. Are all the bags in the car?"

"Yea, we can get some breakfast in the airport. That okay with you?" He asks, wrapping his arms around Mila and I.

"That's fine. I can't eat this early anyways."

"Then let's go." We make sure all the lights are off, windows closed and locked, and our security system is turned on, before we pull out of the driveway.

My Mom is taking care of Luna while we're gone so we don't need to worry about her. The drive to the airport is about forty five minutes. Mila sleeps the whole time. Small blessings.

We pull up to the airport and Theo parks in long term parking. "I'll go run and grab a cart for all our bags." Theo kisses my head before walking away.

"Ma ma ma ma." Mila says tiredly from the backseat.

"Good morning, pea. We're at the airport! You ready to get on an airplane?" I whisper enthusiastically.

Mila nods and rubs her pretty eyes. I don't think she's ready to wake up yet. In fact, by the time Theo returns, she's asleep again. I help Theo load up all our suitcases and pull Mila's stroller out of the car. Gently lifting her from her car seat, I place Mila in the stroller. Wrapping her blanket tight around her.

"I got the car seat." Theo says and starts to take her car seat out of the back, along with the base.

"Let's go." He sighs.

He pushes our luggage while I push the stroller. I make sure the head of Mila's stroller is pushed down so the bright lights of the airport don't wake her up.

Checking our luggage was a pain in the ass and expensive. It's a good thing Theo and I are so well off. "Security is going to be a bitch." Theo mutters under his breath, carrying our carry ons.

Theo's right. Mila may look, act, and talk like she's two, but really she's still fourteen. That's what her passport says. It's going to be difficult explaining that Mila actually has an extremely rare case of dwarfism. I just hope they don't ask too many questions.