Finally Home

Hazel POV:

We're finally getting discharged today! We've been in the hospital for five days and I'm more than ready to go home. Mila has been getting antsy and has started to whine and throw tantrums. It's hard on everybody. She's slowly been getting her energy back and I can tell she's over everything.

"Mila, if I have to tell you stop one more time, I'm going to put you in timeout. I understand you want to go home but you're being naughty."

That was the straw that broke the camels back. Mila throws herself down on the bed and starts to scream bloody murder. I look over at Toby's parents and can see the sympathy on their faces. They know what it's like.

I pick Mila up and place her on the chair in the corner of the room. She stretches her arms out toward me in a plea to be picked up. "No, Mila. You can come out in two minutes. Your time starts as soon as you stop crying."

Mila cries for ten more minutes before she finally stops. I set the timer on my phone for two minutes and sit on the bed. I sigh, "I'm sorry about the tantrum. She usually isn't like this. She just wants to go home."

"We understand. Toby has his days too. You did the right thing with putting her in timeout." Angela says sympathetically.

"Thank you." My phone alarm goes off and I walk to Mila. Her chubby cheeks are flushed from crying and she's wiping her eyes with her balled up fists.

"Mila, you were put in timeout because you wouldn't listen to Mommy. You we're acting naughty. We don't do that. Do you have anything to say?" I gently ask.

"I sowwy, Mama." She sniffles.

"Apology accepted. Come here, ladybug." I pick her up and she snuggles into my chest. Theo walks into the room and smiles when he sees us.

"You ready to get going? I just finished signing the discharge paperwork and packed the car." He says.

"Yes, let's go." I walk Mila over to Toby and his family for quick goodbyes, grab my purse, then walk out of the room.

As soon as Mila sees the car she freaks out. She wraps her arms around my neck and squeezes me tightly. "It's okay. Mamas going to sit in the back with you. You're going to be just fine, Mila. Take some breaths for Mommy."

Mila doesn't do anything but cry harder. Theo takes her from me and I see the judgmental looks from strangers. I don't understand why they have to be like that. It takes zero effort for them to mind their business.

Theo manages to get Mila into her new car seat. Theo and his Mom went shopping this morning for a new car seat. She also brought him home so he could pick up our second car and install the new car seat.

Sliding into the backseat, I grab a bottle of milk out of the diaper bag that I pumped this morning while she was asleep. Because Mila nurses so much, I produce a lot of milk. I usually have to wake up once during the night to pump. If I don't, I'll wake up with painfully engorged breasts and milk stained sheets and clothes.

Mila's mouth is wide opening because she's crying, so I put the tip of the nipple straight into her mouth. She immediately stops crying and starts sucking on her bottle. "There, all better. Mommy's right here. Drink your baba." I coo.

Theo starts the car and carefully pulls out of the parking lot. I can tell he's being extra cautious. "Do you want to stop and get some food?" Theo asks.

"No, let's just head home. This bottle isn't going to last long." I reply.

Theo carefully drives us home. Pulling up into the driveway, I breathe a sigh of relief. Just in time for Mila to finish her bottle. As soon as the cars in park, I lift Mila out of her car seat. Careful of her injuries.

Mila automatically curls up on my chest and shuts her eyes. Hopefully, she'll go down for a long nap soon. "Come on, ladybug. Let's go inside." I whisper.

Walking inside, Luna automatically jumps up on my legs. She sniffs the bottom of Mila's little foot, and barks. "Wuna!" Mila wiggles, trying to get down.

I put Mila on the floor and she wobbled to give Luna a hug. Luna was very careful and sat down, she gave Mila a couple licks with her tongue, then rolled over on her back to offer her belly.

Mila laid down on top of Luna and started to rub her belly. I couldn't let this cute opportunity go to waste, grabbing my phone, I took a picture. "Okay, Mila. Do you want to go take a bath? Get all those yuckies off from the hospital." Theo asks.

Mila shakes her head 'no' and goes back to petting the dog. "Do you want to take a shower with Daddy?" He plies her.

I don't see a problem with Mila taking a shower with Theo. Lots of babies and toddlers bathe with their parents, it's only natural. Mila's a daddy's girl through and through as well.

"Mama too?" She asks.

"Mama will come too. Let's go." I pick Mila up and bring her to the bathroom. Setting her on the floor, I strip her out of her clothes and diaper. Being extra careful when I remove the bandage around her upper chest.

Mila runs off as soon as her clothes are gone. Something we learned about Mila, is that she loves to be naked. Theo walks into the room carrying a naked, squirming Mila. "Look what I found running down the hall. Do you know what this thing is?" Theo jokes.

He holds her upside down by her ankle, gently shaking her a little bit. It's probably not the best thing to do with her injury, but as long as she's not crying, I see no harm. "No, I have no idea. It looks like a stinky girl though." I play along.

"Nu 'inky." Mila laughs.

Theo smells her armpits and wrinkles his nose. "I think you're a very stinky girl who needs to wash her armpits and bum bum." Mila laughs as Theo continues to smell her armpits and make faces.

While Mila is distracted, I quickly take off my clothes and start the shower. Grabbing Mila from Theo, I bring her into the shower while he gets undressed. Setting her on the floor, she begins to play with the water near the drain.

I feel Theo wrap just arms around me from behind and smile. He kisses the side of my head and whispers in my ear, "Tonight, put Mila in her own bed." I automatically know what he's implying. I only nod in response.

I squat down next to Mila and grab her baby shampoo, quickly washing her hair. I grab her ducky washcloth, and wipe down her body. She focused on the shower drain the whole time.

"Do you want to put on some music?" Theo asks.

I nod and he presses a button on a panel in the shower to start the music. As soon as Mila hears the opening notes to baby shark, she stands up and starts to wiggle her little butt. She claps her hands and babbles along to the music.

Theo and I quickly wash up and Theo gets out of the shower first, grabbing our towels from the warming rack. He wraps one around his waist and then grabs Mila's ducky towel with a hood. "Come on, princess. Let's dry off and get dressed."

He scoops her up and walks out of the bathroom. I shut off the shower and wrap my towel around myself. I follow Theo to Mila's nursery and see he's diapering her and rewrapping her wound. He dresses her in a plain pink onesie and hands her off to me. "Come on, let's go get some milky."

Walking with a Mila into the bedroom, I sit on the bed and drop my towel. Mila instantly latches on, except her latch is wrong. I adjust her a little bit so more of my breast is in her mouth, and I relax. I stroke her chubby cheek and see her eyes flutter until they eventually close.

She continues to suck until her breathing evens out. She naturally lets go of my breast and some milk rolls down the side of her cheek. Grabbing the corner of my towel, I gently wipe it off. "Here, I'll lay her down. Don't get dressed." He winks at me.

Handing Mila off to Theo, I watch as he leaves the room.