New Years With The Grandparents (Part 1)

Hazel POV:

Soft whines emit from the baby monitor resting on my nightstand, signaling that Mila is starting to wake up. I roll over, pick up the monitor, then turn the screen on.

Kai's in the room with her. He carefully picks Mila up out of the crib, moves to the rocking chair, then sits down with her in his arms.

"Good morning, sissy." Kai whispers, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

Ever since Christmas Day when we announced that we had adopted Kai, he's been calling Mila sissy. He absolutely adores being a big brother.

"Miwa sweepy. Wan Mama." My little girl whines, burrowing into Kai's chest.

Her head is resting under his chin, with her legs tucked up against her stomach. It's Mila's favorite comfort position. It reminds me of a newborn who cuddles up on their mothers chest.

"I think Mama's still sleeping. Do you wanna go downstairs and get a baba?"

"Nu. Mouf owie." Mila whines, the sound turning into soft cries.

Kai rubs her back in an effort to comfort Mila, but he ends up standing to come find me. When he walks into the bedroom, I set the monitor down, then gesture for him to climb into the bed.

Theo's still sleeping, but I suspect he'll be awake soon. Mila can never leave her Daddy alone when he's sleeping.

"Mila said her mouth hurts." Kai tells me, gently putting Mila in my outstretched arms.

I lay her head in the crook of my left arm, using my right hand to gently open her mouth. I have an idea about what could be going on in Mila's mouth.

Since she stopped aging at three, she doesn't have most of her baby teeth in. Her molars for example, are mostly all in, just a few missing in the back. Most kids get all their molars in by the time they're two, but Mila's never officially came in.

When a dental x-ray was preformed, they saw that Mila had the teeth, they just didn't grow in.

She might be getting those teeth now.

Like I suspected, Mila looks to be getting her baby molars in. There's some white showing beneath her gums in the back. Theo and I never expected her teeth to grow in, so we didn't prepare ourselves for a teething baby.

Her doctors spoke with us about it, saying that it could happen, but not to expect her to grow in size. She'll stay this tiny forever.

"You're getting your big girl teeth in, aren't ya baby?" I coo, softly rocking Mila back and forth.

All she does is attack my sleep shirt, though. She grabs onto the material, trying to raise it up to get to my breast. With a sigh, I raise the material and help her latch on.

"I thought she's fourteen. Surely she has all her teeth?" Kai asks while scratching the back of his head.

"She didn't grow them all in when she stopped aging. My guess is now that she's eating enough and reviving proper nutrients, her teeth are finally coming in. Mila never admitted to it, but I think her birth parents were neglecting her long before they took off when she was six."

Kai's eyes widen and he looks down at Mila. He reaches over, brushing his knuckles over her chubby cheeks. Those two don't recognize it, but they have more in common than they think.

"We're lucky to have you both. You saved the both of us and gave us a better live." Kai whispers sentimentally.

Leaning over, I kiss the top of Kai's head, then lean back in bed to rest my back against some pillows.