We Don't Talk About Bria

(Chapter idea inspired by @_lifeasniya Thank you for your chapter suggestion! Feel free to leave more in the comments or on my page!)

Theo POV:

Hazel sobs into the blanket next to me. Her shoulders shake and her cries break my heart. She clutches a picture of Bria close to her chest, clinging onto the item for dear life. It's the anniversary of Bria's death and we're both taking it hard.

While Hazel cries to show her emotion, I hold it all in. I have to be strong for her, but it's hard. Especially on this day.

We grieved Bria for so long and we continue to do so. Mila has helped us a lot through our grief, but it never completely goes away. I have to remind myself that we have two other children who need us right now.

"I just miss her so much, Theo. I miss holding her to my chest, her giggle, her toothless smile. I miss her so much that it hurts." Hazel says through her sobs.

My hands pull her close to my body and I pet her hair softly. We're planning to visit her grave today. Hazel and I haven't been there for a while, something that's causing me a lot of guilt.

"I miss her too, so much." I whisper, my voice cracking.

We lay in bed together, lost in our own thoughts, until Mila decides it's time to wake up. She let's out a large sob and yells for her Mama. Hazel shakes her head and buried her face back in the blanket saying, "Can you get her? I just can't do it today."

With a nod of my head, I stand up and make my way into Mila's room. She's standing up, gripping the bars of the crib while crying.

"Hey, little mama. You ready to wake up?" I coo.

"Mama?" My baby asks while making grabby hands at me.

"She's still sleeping." I lie as I lift Mila up in my arms.

She snuggles her face into my neck and I sway a little bit. It's peaceful, yet sad at the same time. I haven't forgotten about Bria because that's impossible, but I feel like I've put her to the back of my mind to focus on Mila.

"Mama bewbie." Mila whines while rubbing her eyes with her tiny fists.

"We'll go see if she's up to it." I say, walking out of the nursery and into my room.

Hazel is staring blankly at the wall while tears roll down her reddened cheeks. I walk forward and lay Mila down on the bed. She crawls towards Hazel and gently pats her breast.

"Mama?" Mila says when Hazel doesn't move an inch.

"Mama's tired, Mila. Go with Daddy. He'll get you something to eat." Hazel's voice is empty as she speaks, making me frown.

"Wan chu." Mila whines while pulling on Hazel's top.

Hazel suddenly sits up in bed, startling Mila. She pushes Mila away saying, "Just go, Mila! I want to be alone."

The face Mila makes is heartbreaking. Her hazel eyes fill with tears and her bottom lip pokes out. I rush to scoop her up, but Mila wiggles to the bottom of the bed and drops down, running back to her bedroom.

I turn towards Hazel and shake my head, my arms crossed over my chest. "I understand that this day is hard on you. Hell, it's hard on me too, but that little girl loves you and you just literally pushed her away."

Hazel curls her lip at me and spits, "She's not a real little girl. It's a lie, a fraud."

I don't even dignify that with a response. This isn't my Hazel. She's lashing out because she's hurting. My wife is sweet, caring, and compassionate. This isn't her and I won't stand around and let her bash Mila like this.