Chapter Thirteen

Olivia Thorne

I don't know how to comprehend what I just heard. Am I surprised yes, but I'm not mad, I've come to accept that Adrian's past was dark and complicated, what I didn't expect was that there was a time when Adrian had one night stands, and that the reason he disliked parties wasn't just that he was anti social it was also that they reminded him of a piece of his past that he didn't want to revisit.

The drive back to New York was long, and my mind was having a hard time focusing on driving.

The unfortunate part is I know Adrian will do something to make up for this and me saying that he isn't off the hook for staying the night at Aria's and scaring the shit out of me. I don't want him too because I know he's honest and he would have told me before if he even remembered that part of his past.

Wouldn't he?

I'd like to think he would it would be more reassuring.

Pulling my focus out of my worry and concerned thoughts, I look back at the road that is beginning to darken I turn on the high beams on the car and attempt to remain undistracted.

An hour and a half later I was back at Adrian's house but because I didn't know the garage code I couldn't put the car away.

I then got out of the car and walked up to the front door, which was locked, so how was I going to get into the house.

Adrian's not dumb enough to rid me of the ability to be safe so I walk back to the car and open every compartment in the vehicle until choosing to pull down the sun visor which did indeed have the key resting  sideways on the alcantara surface.

Taking the key I locked the car, and headed inside which always reminded me of Adrian how it smelt like his cologne, along with the faint note of cinnamon.

Slipping off my shoes I put the keys where they were normally kept, and walked upstairs to have a shower.

After discarding my clothing, I walked into the bathroom to use the shower.

This big house felt empty and now I understood how Adrian felt all the time when alone here, how he must have felt over the years especially when he had to spend two months on house arrest.

Stepping into the shower I put it as hot as I could manage, it was instant along with the steam that pooled on the black tiles and helping to cleanse my sins of the day.

Getting out an hour later which is excessive on any account, though Adrian's water doesn't run on a tank its off of a microfiltered water main just for his house from what I understood. I then walk over to the mirror and wipe it with one of the black face towels that are kept by the sink and I stare back at myself in the mirror.

my wet dark brunette hair was nearly black, as it hung against my skin.

I then dried off my body, and went into the closet to get my under garments, before putting on one of Adrian's shirts, and walking downstairs to then outside onto the patio.

The wind was gentle and cooled me but didn't make me cold as I sat down on the steps that went down to the sandy beach that would be covered in snow in four months.

Watching the waves made me wonder what it must be like to be so carefree, and never have to worry about anything, water never did, no matter what happened the atoms that created it never were never separated. This is what me and Adrian's relationship was like we went through everything, and one day there wouldn't be anything left to go through. But right now I wondered what it was like at that party, what was even going on.

Over time I began to feel drowsy and let out a yawn.

That's when I heard it the door to the patio opened and Kate stepped out onto the marble surface.

"Hey Olivia" Kate says walking over to me a glass of iced water in her hand.

"Hi Kate, did you raid the cupboards for that" I inquire.

"Yes, I also thought you might need it more then me" Kate replies offering it to me, which I took with a smile.

"Thank you Kate, why did you come here?".

"I came because I wanted you to know that Adrian was only drinking but I'm sure he won't do anything dumb, what he told you he apparently hadn't done in a long time, though I wouldn't know I wasn't in New York when he apparently started".

"So when did he start?".

"He was fifteen, it was before he met Demetri, but the parties were Adrian's doing, him and the boys would go and Adrian would stay the whole night, they all partied but none of them knew about what he did after they left now we all do".

"Adrian didn't seem to remember himself, he pointed out how he drank whole bottles in an hour, and played that version of truth or dare, the one night stands he barely remembered just waking up in beds beside people" I say looking over at Kate.

"There's good reason to why he hid his coping methods from you, and I'm not justifying not telling you sooner but it's also Adrian he does things for a reason, but that started to change when he and Sav started to date, then it was actually the end when he met you, but my brother also copes by doing shit he will regret, and then learns from it".

"How many nights did he spend with Monica?" I stupidly ask.

"Four was what Adrian said, but they did also meet up at points, their detachment started when he was around Sav, she changed him for the better for a little bit then no one ever saw him. He also said that would be the part of his past he would want to have never happened" Kate says.

"I'm not even mad at him, it's just a little difficult to take in".

"I can understand why, but keep in mind this is the same Adrian Winters who acts tough on the surface but underneath kept everything hidden because that's what he needed to be like to have people to leave him be".

"I know who he is Kate, just like he knows who I am but when he said he was simple with a complicated past I never expected this".

"This was the last piece Olivia, whatever that means, out of everyone you probably know him best under his brooding façade".

She was right, I probably did, everyone who has been around Adrian noticed that he opened up to me easier then he ever did them.

I laugh at the thought and how people viewed Adrian.

"It's funny everyone calls him the devil, and it's actually pretty accurate, he's an angel that fell into darkness" I say smiling at the idea.

"Then I guess that would make you the angel that brought him back to the light" Kate says softly before standing. "Whatever he does remember Adrian did it for you, he's a good person under what he shows the world".

And with that Kate walked back into the house towards the entryway, and I know she's right, and I think back to one of the first things Adrian ever said to me.

'There's a lot more to any rumour you hear about me'.

I then begin to mutter the line under my breath, and the longer I did it the more I realized how true it was, Adrian may be the person so many of Thornbrook's population fears but he's also the strongest person I know, because he went through everything alone, and now he's opened up fully to someone, and weirdly enough that person ended up being me.

Maybe you are right Kate maybe I have been bringing him back to the light.

So this was how Olivia reacted to what Adrian told her, next chapter I will have to hide afterwards but this is definitely the most drama filled book of the series, so I did warn you, also comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace✌