Chapter Seventy One

Adrian Winters

She was drowning.

I knew that the second I noticed the rippling water. No one had noticed either and I don't know how long she's been underwater but worse case scenario two minutes.

Diving into the water I opened my eyes looking at Aria as she sank down to the bottom her eyes closed and mouth slightly open a few straggling bubbles holding onto her lips.

Swimming lower faster my own panic rising because I can't live with the knowledge that my friend died in front of me.

Reaching out I grabbed her arms and pulled her near me before swimming hard to the surface where I found people seeming confused and unable to move.

"Someone call a fucking ambulance" I yell pushing Aria's soaked and unresponsive body onto the stone patio.

Climbing out I immediately check for a pulse in every place I knew of one all were there faintly.

"What can I do?" someone asks and I glance up to see Mia, and Olivia not far away on her phone talking to emergency response.

"Go get clothing for Aria, and me, my guest bedroom is on the second floor to the right the door handle opens upwards not down" I say before turning and composing myself as I check for breathing, which there wasn't.

Olivia you can kill me later for this.

I then lean down to give mouth to mouth to get the water out of her airways, first by putting her body at an angle so that the water could flow back to the mouth.

After a moment of my trying to get her to breathe and beginning to lose hope she suddenly coughs rolling onto her side spitting out water and continuing to cough.

"Ice and mint, someone go" I yell, and someone heads off right as Mia returns with some of the clothes that I had actually forgotten here, and a towel.

"Thanks Mia" I say taking the towel, and wrapping it around Aria's shivering and cold body.

As I sat I changed out of my wet clothing and into the dry ones Mia had brought, before picking up the one's that were for Aria, and picked up Aria into my arms carrying her inside.

"Everyone outside, Nico shut the curtains, Olivia bring the ice and mint here, Kate go to the end of the driveway to make sure the ambulance knows where they are needed, Mia go with her, boys keep everyone outside calm, and maybe get them to go home if possible I don't care how you get them to but I don't want anyone here from our school to witness someone who nearly drowned be put in the back of a ambulance" I say as calmly as I can though I'm still panicking and my need for organization is helping.

"Here's the ice and mint why do you want it?" Olivia asks setting both things on the coffee table.

"Mint is soothing, and ice is to gradually get it to do so" I say turning from my girlfriend to Aria.

"Arianna" I say softly and she focuses on me.

"A-Adria-n" she gets out.

"Here put this in your mouth, I want you to suck on it. It'll help" I tell her and she nods following my instructions.

"How'd you learn that?", I then turn to see Olivia giving me a curious look.

"This is the same way I get rid of my dry throat in the middle of the night, along with when I'm sick" I reply.

After a moment Aria reaches up to her mouth pulling the leaves from her lips.

"Everyone out, please" I say, and Olivia and Ava both walk out after glancing over their shoulders.