Chapter Fifty Nine

Adrian Winters

I walked up a path covered in leaves that would remain there until the following fall to become covered in orange and red and snow a few months later.

So in the mean time while we had warm weather though today seemed much cooler then usual I had brought Aria out here before Olivia phoned me.

Me and Aria had come to a park, and as we walked the leaves rustled beneath our shoes.

"So what happened to make you so upset you didn't want to talk about it until we got here?" I ask sticking my hands in my pockets as we walked up a path from the parking lot.

"My parents divorce is fully set and the court date is set for Friday" Aria says.

"This Friday?" I puzzle looking over at her.

"Yes" she says looking down and I can tell her eyes are glazing over so I stop, and pull open my jacket and take out the pack of tissues that I had put in there when we got out of my car.

Because a Bugatti is a car and so tissues can be kept in it.

Handing the package to her she cautiously took it, and opened it before using one of the silky tissues to wipe her eyes.

"Arianna" I say softly and she looks up at me with her teary eyes. "I will make sure that everything goes well, if you want to stay in New York I will make sure you do, honestly, I don't care how I do it but I will".

"But why?".

"Because out of the handful of people I genuinely care about you are on that list, you've been my closest friend my whole life that isn't changing".

She lets out a laugh before opening her arms and I accept the hug.

"Alright, alright don't cry more I like this jacket" I jokingly muse and she knees me in the side. "I'm messing with you Verille".

"Any time but now" she says pulling away and I just smirk.

"Okay, well what else has been on your mind?".

"A lot but not all of it needs to be said" she says wiping her eyes again.

"Well for what should tell me. Please".

"Did you just ask for something from someone" she says giving me a concerned look.

"Shut up" I mutter with a laugh, as she tried to reach for my forehead, but I grabbed her wrists to stop her. "Aria".

"Adrian" she says, and it's only then that I realize I stuck her between me and a tree, so I step back and let her have full range of motion.

"So what else is on your mind?" I ask moving on from what just happened mostly due to me wanting it to vanish into the air like fog on a warm morning.

"Finals like most seniors, then there's a party that I am planning for the end of the year post prom" she says pulling her coat around herself.

"Why is it so cold".

"Aria it's May and you wore knee length boots a skirt matching halter neck top, and a black blazer I don't know how you're cold".

"You drove for an hour out to this park" she points out and I laugh.

"Okay that's true" I admit as we continue walking along a path to a large clearing.

"This is pretty" Aria comments as we walk over to a large oak tree by a pebbled creek with a small bridge that went over it to the tree, which had replaced it's leaves, and were green much to the contrast to the permafrost preserved leaves around me.