Chapter Seventeen

Olivia Thorne

It's been a week since me and Adrian's date, I've also been thinking about what he said when bringing up that he wanted me to be the COO when he took over Winters Group.

It's not even that I didn't have the schooling or ability it's that I still am trying to comprehend him offering such an important role to me in that way.

I was also focused on my courses same as everyone else and this was one of the days after school when we all were in Adrian's living room working late into the afternoon.

"Can one of you explain to me how Tangents and Cosin are connected" Riley says looking up from his textbook at all of us.

"Hunter" Adrian says looking over at our messy ash brown haired friend. "Help him" he adds before looking back down at the laptop in front of him.

I had long since finished the Biology project on Viruses we had to do, and Adrian had offered to type out the formal report about them.

"Do I have to?" Hunter pleads.

"Your family engineers things, trigonometry is part of that, now help him" Adrian says looking up from the screen once more.

"Just because my family's business knows how to do it doesn't mean I do too" Hunter says getting off the couch and moving over to where Riley sat all but pulling his hair as if doing so would magically give him the answer.

"Hunter if you want, I can explain it to him" I offer, as I seriously have nothing better to do.

"Please" Hunter says before I see him shiver and turn to see Adrian glaring at him.

"Okay, also Adrian don't kill him" I say moving over to the opposite couch and sitting down by Riley before beginning to explain his question.

After a few minutes Adrian shuts his laptop, and walks into his office, before closing the door.

When I finish helping Riley I walk into the kitchen, and begin to boil the kettle.

I then open the cabinet and look through what I could only call the largest black tea collection someone could possibly possess until I found the box of chai tea and took out two tea bags.

"Olivia would you mind making me an Earl Grey?" Kate called from the side of the couch she and Nico were occupying.

"Sure" I say taking out that box too, and removing one of the silk tea bags inside.

Now why would one have silk tea bags?

Putting all three in mugs I pour the water from the kettle which had somehow boiled despite being half full and turned on for a minute.

I then carried my mug and Kate's to the living room before getting Adrian's and walking to the office door, where I could faintly hear him talking to someone in Slovak.

"Poviete mi, prečo v projekte nechajú postaviť ďalích desať päťdesiatich tímov, aby na tej vei postavili ďalích prekliatych dvadsaťpäť poschodí?" I hear him say, and I take the silence as a time to gently knock before opening the door.

"I brought you tea" I whisper and he gives me a soft smile from the black leather chair he's sitting in.

"Thank you bellissima" he replies in equal verb, and I notice the pen and sticky note pad on his desk so I turn it and quickly write out.

What is happening that you have to talk in Slovak?

Sliding it back across the desk Adrian looks down at it and writes out his response in neat semi cursive writing.

The engineering team, and builders, along with the architects thought it would be a bright idea to add twenty five floors to WGI HQ.

I then go wide eyed and look back up at him.

"Nepáči sa mi to a je mi jedno, či to bude to, čo si dizajnérsky tím myslel, e bude vyzerať pekne, nič sa nesmie kurva robiť na tej vei, pokiaľ to kurva neschválim" Adrian says to someone, and I can tell by how he's gripping the black and silver pen in his hand that he's getting angrier and that was the only give away he was calm, deathly calm. Like people always spoke about in the first week I was at Thornbrook, the only sign that Adrian was about to let someone meet his devil persona.

"Dobre, aktualizujte ma, prosím, táto budova u stála Winters Group International tri a pol miliardy dolárov" Adrian says setting the pen back down on the desk, "aj ty Stephan".

Adrian then tossed his phone onto the desk, and rubbed his face.

"The Architects will come to me and ask if I approve of what they are suggesting I do because twenty five floors and the additional roof support is over four hundred feet" he says.

"Isn't Winters Group already the biggest tower in the entire world" I muse.

"And the most expensive" Adrian sighs, "why people have to fuck with things is beyond me".

"You're such a control freak but I understand why, that addition would cost what half a billion dollars maybe a little over" I say sitting in one of the chairs opposite the desk.

"Yes, what would you do, you're my other half, so what would you do?" Adrian asks looking over at me.

"Look at the addition, and what it would offer, along with what it means for the previously developed design, see if it's actually cost efficient for what that building needs to do" I say while Adrian looks over at me while resting his head against his hand.

"The build permit also has to be examined then, along with testing to make sure the underground base, and columns can support the additional weight and wind stress from that high up".

"What does the underground of that building even look like?".

"When I got back from Switzerland my father showed me the basement levels as they were building them, twenty foot ceilings per floor, one foot of reinforced smooth concrete on each level, six feet of smooth concrete walls, support columns with rebar as wide as a baseball apparently sixteen are in each of the forty columns underneath my family's skyscraper".

"I can only imagine the amount of weight that could hold up" I say attempting to imagine what Adrian's describing.

"Well" he begins opening his laptop, and having a list of tabs open based on voice command before beginning to do the math. When he eventually finished I was staring at a neat ten digit number.

"I was rounding down" Adrian says leaning on the desk.

"Three billion pounds".

"If my math is accurate which I'm sure it is, what my architects want to do could be done".

"Look at the design and then decide if you want to turn the top of an already kilometre tall building into a construction site".

"As of right now I don't, but who knows maybe I'll like the design element, though I also don't know if I entirely feel ready to send five hundred extra guys up over three and a half thousand feet".

"I'm sure you will figure it out" I say then I hear someone knock on the front door, I then see Adrian slide open a drawer on his desk before taking out his handgun, and loading it.

Ex-gang leader instinct I suppose.

He then walks out the room, and cocks it before putting it in the waistline of his jeans behind his back, as he walked to the entryway of teh house.

"Everyone stay there" Adrian says calmly before unlocking the door and opening it to reveal a familiar dirty blonde figure on the doorstep looking oddly distraught before Adrian speaks.

"Aria what are you doing here?".

So why do you think Aria is at his house so late, comment below, also vote, and share. Anyways

Peace✌