Chapter 230

Chapter 230 Brief Encounter

Orthus calmed down after a long time of venting his anger. He then turned around, stared at Ye Ci, and sighed, "Heh, Elf, are you interested in listening to a not-so interesting story?"

"Of course, Mr. Orthus. If you're willing to tell the story, I'll be one of the best listeners there is." Ye Ci bowed to the Goblin. She made the decision not to skip the dialogue. The stories told by an NPC in an Epic-tier quest might contain many clues to a player's mission. These were not only hidden in the words of the NPC. The intonation and behavior of the NPC during the storytelling process could also be a potential clue. Any important clues that players missed could affect the completion rate of the Epic-tier quest, and ultimately the final reward of the quest.

Orthus was apparently satisfied with Ye Ci's response. He paced back and forth in front of Ye Ci once again, but with a much calmer demeanor.

Ye Ci stood silently, waiting with all the patience she could muster. After all, she turned into a rather patient person when it concerned her Epic-tier quest.

Orthus jumped onto a fallen wooden pillar and took a seat. He gazed at the distant sky. The bright moon was not enough to illuminate the dark land, leaving only a streak of silver in the night sky.

Ye Ci had already studied her map upon arrival. They were in the Fragrance Wilderness in the Western Continent. The map was filled with monsters around level 50-60. These monsters were passive, and would only attack out of self-defence, which made the map a preferred spot for players seeking to level up. This meant that Ye Ci was in grave danger. If she was discovered by Western Continent players, they would definitely hunt her down without mercy.

Despite the danger, Ye Ci could not change the fact that the location was the spot where Orthus would trigger the next stage of the quest. After all, Goblins were a neutral race in all four continents. As a Goblin, Orthus was in relatively safe from attacks by players, but Ye Ci would be the one in danger.

However, Ye Ci was a veteran in evading enemies with superior numbers thanks to her experience in her past life. This was why Ye Ci was able to wait calmly for Orthus to finally trigger the quest. She maintained her vigilance as she waited, ready to react to any sudden events. She would never allow herself to die right after setting foot in the Western Continent.

Orthus was satisfied with Ye Ci's patience and silence. As a race that was highly intelligent and full of pride, Goblins despised the members of the other races despite their interactions. In the eyes of the Goblins, they were the most noble of races, while the other races in the Jiama Continent were seen as inferior.

As one of the more conservative Goblins, Orthus looked down on the other races more than the rest of his people. Despite his ideology, Orthus rarely showed his hatred. In fact, he also disliked the Elf who was standing silently in front of him. But unlike most, the Elf was very polite, and was not overly ambitious. She did not attempt to gain benefits from a renowned Goblin like himself. This was why Orthus was satisfied with Ye Ci's behavior, and even started to speak with her in a gentler tone.

"A long, long time ago, a time even I have forgotten... You know, we Goblins are a race with a long lifespan. Time means nothing to us. But back then, we Goblins did not live underground, and we did not live in seclusion. We had a homeland we called Vo'sok. It was a place full of ores, precious gems, and oil. Vo'sok was just a place full of wonders and resources. You must be thinking that a place like that would be heavily polluted... But you're wrong. Vo'sok is a beautiful place with lush green trees. The land was healthy and full of life, and the rivers were clean and beautiful. And I... I was born in that place..."

As Orthus indulged in his memories of home, his voice turned gentle, and his eyes lost their focus. It was apparent from his expression that his homeland was one of Orthus's best memories.