Chapter 238

Chapter 238 A Trustworthy Ally

"Why are there burn marks in this place?" Ye Ci lifted her head once again and stared at the scorched surface of the wall.

"There must be some sort of trap somewhere, but with how things are looking, it's been here for for a long time."

"That doesn't mean that it's not functioning." said Ye Ci as she studied the stairways intently. Her gaze landed on some of the paintings at the stairways that appeared to be out of place, and appeared to be newer compared to the rest of the palace.

"The trap is hidden behind the paintings." said the duo simultaneously, and they shared a smile.

"Well, since we've figured out where the trap is, how are we going to get past it?" asked Fleeting Time. Although Hunters had the ability to lay traps, the did not have the skill to detect the triggering mechanism of a trap and dismantle the trap. Rogues were usually the ones who were tasked in disarming traps.

The Rogue class had the highest Perception in the game, which allowed them to receive hints from the system, and locate any triggering mechanism in the vicinity. However, if a Rogue was not careful in his or her attempt to disarm a trap, the Rogue might risk triggering the trap and taking damage as a result. This was not a task that could be performed by the Hunter class.

Making their way past the traps without disarming them was not an easy task.

The stairway was at least 16 yards in length, and there were 6 paintings along the length of the walls. This meant that the duo had to move past 6 traps on their way to safety. Judging from the scorch marks on the wall, the hidden traps must have the ability to shoot flames.

Vo'sok was a level 60 dungeon. There was no way Ye Ci and Fleeting Time could evade the traps that were carefully placed in a stairway that was only five yards wide. As a Western Continent player, Fleeting Time could easily respawn and return to the dungeon after his death. The same thing, however, could not be said for Ye Ci. An Eastern Continent player like her would have trouble if she was killed.

After a brief moment of thought, Ye Ci produced some Cat Claws from her inventory and handed one of them to Fleeting Time, "We can try using this."

Fleeting Time took the Cat Claw from Ye Ci and began studying it with apparent interest, "Is this a product of an Engineer in the Eastern Continent?"

"Yup." Ye Ci estimated the distance between her and the railing at the end of the stairway and then looked at her Cat Claw. She then took aim and threw the Cat Claw at the railing.

The hook of the Cat Claw flew straight and true, clinging onto the railing as it landed. Just then, six massive jets of flames erupted from behind the paintings, burning them to crisp. If Ye Ci and Fleeting Time were hit by the flames, neither of them would be able to survive.

Ye Ci tugged at the end of the Cat Claw. She could feel the heat from the flames even when she was beyond the range of the traps. Before she could shield her face from the wave of heat, a figure stepped out in front of her.

"Stand back, I'll go first." said Fleeting Time as he stood with his back to Ye Ci and began swinging the Cat Claw.

"I'll go first. You've not used the Cat Claw before..." said Ye Ci as she stared at Fleeting Time's back. He does not have the experience of using the Cat Claw! This is suicide!

Fleeting Time glanced at Ye Ci, and nudged her aside. Before she could protest, he flung his Cat Claw at the railing. He then took two steps back, and stared at the flames.

The traps would discharge flames following a certain pattern. Flames would be spout from the traps for as long as 8 seconds, and after 2 seconds, the traps would continue spewing flames. With the absence of a Rogue in the party, Ye Ci and Fleeting Time could only think of a way to make their was past the traps.