Chapter 254

Chapter 254 The Beach (Part 1)

Moore was very satisfied with Ye Ci's response. "The people nowadays worship martial prowess. Not many are willing to spend their time reading books. Little do they know that knowledge is the greatest power in this world." he said with a smile.

Ye Ci expressed her agreement of Moore's statement and the NPC continued, "It was such a long time ago. The Jiama continent was full of so many races. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Undeads, Orcs, Ogres, Goblins, Werewolves, Dragons..." it was as if Moore was reading the names off a book as he recited the names each of the races.

"We all lived on the Jiama Continent. Despite our constant disputes, the continent was peaceful and we were all living in prosperity. I was still a sorcerer's apprentice back then. I was only 18 years old. Ahh... What a fond memory that is..." a smile spread across Moore's face. It was obvious that the memory was something that the lord cherished deeply.

"We sorcerers are an ambitious lot. We are always looking for more power. But as we grow stronger, we require more mental strength to control our power, and this was very taxing on our bodies. Sorcerers are not very healthy in general, and I am one such example." Moore said with self mockery. Ye Ci, of course, disagreed with Moore. Even if the Sorcerer class tend to have lower health and defense values than the other classes, a boss like Moore would definitely have an absurd amount of both health and defense.

"As I journeyed on my quest to gain more knowledge and power... A grave misfortune fell upon the realm. A young and curious soul stumbled upon the seal of the Dark Lord Naga and set him free by accident, plunging the entire continent into Chaos. The Gods called upon all the races in to fight against the Dark Lord. The members of all the races in the Jiama Continent cast aside their feud against this common enemy and marched to war as one. I, too, was among their ranks." Moore's voice was calm as he continued his narration, but Ye Ci could hear the voice of a veteran who had seen hundreds of battles.

"The war lasted for many years. It started when I was still a teenage apprentice blooming with youth, and it continued to rage on even when I was a middle-aged full-fledged sorcerer. Countless battles were fought, resulting in huge casualties on both sides, but victory was still something that neither side could achieve. My longing for power grew as I grew stronger. You might have not heard about it, but there were rumors of the Forbidden Magic circulating among sorcerers. It can bring great power, but it also comes with a terrible price." the smile remained on Moore's face, but with a hint of bitterness.

Forbidden Magic was indeed present in the game's lore, but it was something that Ye Ci herself had never heard of before even in her past life. However, one could easily tell that Forbidden Magic was not something that was benevolent. "You're right. I have never heard of it before. What exactly is Forbidden Magic" Ye Ci nodded.

"It is something that can only be gained by bargaining with the realm of darkness. A sorcerer must give away something that is precious to him or her in exchange for such a power. The world is absolutely fair. Everything comes with a price. Just like how a Huntress like you must be faster and more agile than others to outlast your opponent." Moore's voice remained calm as he stroked his staff, "I paid the price, and became the only Grand Sorcerer in the Jiama Continent. My strength meant nothing with the sheer scale of the war, but I was able to deal a crippling blow to Naga himself, allowing the kings of the Elves, Dwarves, and many other races to defeat the Dark Lord. Victory came at a great price. The races of Jiama lost their kings, while I survived because the protection of the dark realm. But... I..."

Ye Ci, who was enjoying the narration, was stunned by Moore's sudden pause, "What is it? Were you gravely injured, Lord Moore?"

"No, I did not suffer from any wounds. In fact, I became even stronger than I was, but..." Moore continued with a grimace. His hand that was holding his staff trembled, and his body was shaking uncontrollably. Moore was trying his best to calm his emotions, and it would be a very long while before he finally spoke up again in a voice full of sorrow, "But I lost the right to die."