Chapter 231

Chapter 231 Is That Possible?

The Hunter class was a unique class in Fate. They were the scouts of a party in the absence of a Rogue. They were also a class that could go on the offensive, but could perform well when they were on the defense. This was why Hunters could always be seen leveling up solo. A good Hunter would always have an acute sense to his or her surrounding.

Being observant was the basic quality of any Hunter. A Hunter must also find clues from the most trivial of details. A good Hunter like Fleeting Time would always take note of his surroundings. Such practice was like a second nature to him.

The things present in a certain location, the behavior of certain players or NPCs... He noted them down without making a conscious effort. It was very tiring, but you would never know when it would bring you an unexpected surprise.

As Fleeting Time brushed past the Rogue, he caught a glimpse of the seemingly unremarkable ornament on his chest.

What a familiar sight...

It was a brooch. A crude, plain-looking brooch. It was a brooch with a very common outlook, just like the ones that were very common among players. But Fleeting Time had a nudging feeling that he had seen that particular brooch before. But where?

He could not remember at all.

Fleeting Time cast a backwards glance, but the Rogue was no longer in sight. Strong winds blew as Fleeting Time continued on his journey back to Light Saint City, the split second when he saw the brooch lingered in his mind.

How long is a split of a second?

There was once such verse in the Mahabharata: A ksana[1] is but a moment of thought, and 20 ksana makes a shun, while 20 shun is as quick as a tanzhi, and a luoding lasts 20 times longer, 20 luoding makes a xuyu, and there are 30 xuyu in a day.

One can easily deduce how fast a split of a second was.

1 day = 24 hours = 86400 seconds

30 xuyu = 1 day, which means that 1 xuyu = 86400/30 = 2880 seconds.

A luoding = 2880/20 = 144 seconds

A tanzhi = 144/20 = 7.2 seconds

Then a ksana = 7.2/20 = 0.36 second

We can conclude that a ksana, which is a split of a second, is about the length of 0.018 second.

How long is 0.018 second? It might not even be enough for a person to blink his or her eye. What can one do with that amount of time? Nobody would ever know the answer to the question. One thing, however, was certain: Fleeting Time and Ye Ci brushed past each other in the split of a second.

Ye Ci could feel the beating of her heart stop as she held her breath. That brief encounter was like a silent eternity for Ye Ci. She stared ahead at the direction of the Bloody Wilderness, not daring to look back.

Lush green bushes grew on the sides of the narrow past connecting the Putrid Trail to the Bloody Wilderness. A person can easily hide in one of the bushes without risking detection. Ye Ci jumped down from her horse and rolled behind one of the shrubs. Her little red horse, which is a normal steed, disappeared once she dismounted.

In the blink of an eye, Ye Ci and her little red horse disappeared from the Bloody Wilderness.

Ye Ci immediately activated stealth when she was hidden safely behind the bush. It was harder for hostile to detect Ye Ci when she was in stealth due to the talent points she invested into the skill. Despite her relative safety, Ye Ci remained cautious. The person that brushed past her in that brief encounter was Fleeting Time, a player that she must not underestimate. If she was not careful, he would be able to detect her easily.