25

Chapter 25 – A Narrow Road1

In the following month, foreign cultivators came to Ye City one after the other. The number of city guards also discreetly increased. The cultivators were clothed in their own sect's robes and the ubiquitous black-armored guards added a degree of solemness in this tumultuous yet inclusive city. 

After returning that evening, the incident of Duan Chongxuan inviting Yin Biyue out to listen to the storyteller never happened again—whether or not it really was to listen.

Hence, Yin Biyue practiced his sword, the Frigid Water Sword, during day beside Lake Qiu; and at night, he meditated in his room, mentally performing the move and tempering his mind. The lakeside courtyard was very quiet. Not even the slightest clamor from Ye City could be heard. 

However, in the middle of the city, between the hustle and bustle, were Bao Pu Zong who wore cyan robes with trigrams of talisman writings, Lian Jian sect who donned maroon-colored changshan, and Cang Ya who wore white robes embroidered with clouds. The ash gray monk robes were of the Jie Kong Temple, and the bright yellow kasaya were worn by Xing Shan Temple.

The disciples who were walking in front of them, leading the way, were dressed in white robes with ink splashing depictions of mountains and lakes. They were this year's hosts; QingLu Sword Sect disciples. 

He Yanyun followed behind Xi Ping Peak's shishu2  and passed through the lively streets and alleyways towards Lake Qiu in the south. When she was a child, she would often slip out from the mountain, yet no place she ever saw was as different and interesting as Ye City. But QingLu Sword Sect disciples were still present, so naturally, she couldn't reveal that she had never seen the world. It was too embarrassing.

Consequently, she gave Ruan Xiaolian a meaningful glance. Ruan Xiaolian returned back a glance.

— Let's go stroll around the market tonight for some food.

— We'll first eat the wontons on the left, then eat the rice cakes at the back.

The two calmly reached a consensus and kept walking without the slightest change of expression. 

Luo Mingchuan and the others received news from a QingLu Sword Sect disciple and went out to greet their fellow sect's cultivators by Lake Qiu. After greeting Xi Ping Peak's elder, they saw a crowd of disciples already starting to excitedly distribute the courtyards. The former peaceful courtyards became more hectic.

From time to time, some disciples came forward to greet the three of them. After He Yanyun finished her greeting, she called out to Luo MingChuan, "Shixiong, I have a lot to ask you."

Yin Biyue immediately understood!

You go, girl! Your shixiong have not even met a semi-pretty female cultivator during this journey. Don't worry!

Duan Chongxuan smiled at him. "The city's quite lively today; why don't fourth shixiong and I go take a look?"

Yin Biyue was uncertain if his words implied going to the blossom house, but presently, Lake Qiu was rather noisy, so practicing his sword was not possible. They might as well go stroll around town.

The moment the two passed through the noblemen's courtyards at the south side of the city, they were met with a heated event. It was easy to spot any kind of commotion in Ye City, because the black-armored guards were exceedingly eye-catching.

Even more coincidentally, the people in the center of the ruckus were actually familiar. The cyan-colored robes flashed between the cracks of heavily crowded people.

Duan Chongxuan, without hesitation, circumvented the crowd and led Yin Biyue to the tea house on the opposite street. He picked a window position on the second floor, asked for rose pastries along with JunShan MaoJian tea3, and begun to serenely watch.