Gotta beat em'

Hunter POV
Y/N stood away from me, not far, far enough I wanted to pull her closer, but not far. Parties outside the castle are.. really different. No fancy ball gowns in sight, thats for sure. "Oh yeah, Hunter's a really great swimmer. I'm sure he'd love to." Y/N said while nudging me in the arm. I looked back to them realizing I had zoned out, "Uhhh sure." I tried to smile.

Your POV
I leaned into Hunter, "You have no clue what you just signed up for, do you?" I sighed. "Not a clue." He groaned. "Luckily for you, it's not a monster battle. Just a race across the lake." I laughed. "Against who?" He inquired. "Jerbo, Edric, some other guys, Emira's competing, Luz, remember the girl who's totally obsessed with you?" "Yeah?" "Her boyfriend's competing. Best of all, there's a prize."

"Prize?" "Well, cash prize from the other contestants. 10$ from each, luckily for you I put in the 10$ for you." "Thanks." "Yeah, anyway, and from me, a kiss." I winked.

Hunter POV
"Sounds great." I grinned leaning into her. "Better go stretch!" She laughed. "What?" "It's starting soon, ten minutes!" "What?" "Yeah, go get ready!" I stood for a moment, glancing between where some of the others were already standing and Y/N. "Want me to come with you?" She sighed with a slight grin. "Yeah." "Alright, let's go then." I tied my hair into a ponytail while walking.

I pushed myself onto the shore of the lake, Y/N close behind me. I followed her to the others, "Y/N, you're competing?" A boy shouted. "Just here to help him warm up." She replied. Emira had just joined us, shooting a wave to Luz before standing with us. I stretched my arms in front of me, then my legs, rolled my head in circles.

Your POV
Hunter looked gorgeous like that, his hair tied up except for some messy tufts in the front. His hair had dried most of the way but was still damp, curling on the ends of the ponytail. His skin shines with the drops of water, highlighting every freckle and mole on his skin.

"Hey, are you this Golden guard bitch?" A guy with straight black hair asked shoving a hand against Hunter's chest. Crazy girl's boyfriend who for some reason was totally fine with her being in love with Hunter. "I'm going by Hunter now, but that would be me." "You messed with my girlfriend?" "Your girlfriend messed with me. Hows it feel knowing your girlfriend is in love with me?"

Hunter POV
The guy lunged forward but I took a simple step back, "I'm going to beat you in this race." I stated. The guy stormed off and I turned around to face Y/N, "I'm going to win." "Gotcha." She replied rolling her eyes slightly. "Let's get started then!" A voice arose from the middle of the lake. We all turned to see Viney, on a staff, about thirty feet above the lake. "Line up!" She added.

"I'll be cheering for you!" Y/N called as she ran to sit on the edge of the lake. I watched as she plopped down onto the lake shore, chatting with the youngest Blight who's name... I still haven't caught. Y/N smiled at me before I positioned myself at the edge of the lake. My hands holding the grass at the edge of the drop to the lake, about a foot or two down. Edric was beside me on one side and the human.. Luz on the other side.

Your POV
I watched as Hunter got ready, a serious expression across his face. "Free style, 100m!" Viney announced. "First one to the end wins, stay civil and no magic!" She added.

Hunter POV
"Ready." I felt a bead of sweat fall across my cheek, the sun warming my hair. "Set." I could hear the dirt move around me, people readjusting their grip I guess. "Go!" I dove into the water, feeling my heart beat race. I held my breath as long as I could, pushing forward. I turned to the side taking a shallow breath before pushing forward again.

I took a few more strokes before turning to the side taking a deeper breath, I saw the wall coming up and quickly flipped over pushing off the wall. I came up for another breath and heard Y/N, I couldn't hear what she said since I had to keep swimming but it encouraged me to kick harder.

Your POV
Hunter was pulling ahead, purple dress girl's boyfriend tailing close behind with Luz pulling close. After his flip he managed to put some distance between them.

Hunter POV
All of a sudden I felt a hand wrap around my ankle, I kicked hard in their wrist before pulling forward. I was on the second lap so only two more. All of a sudden I was reaching the edge again, flipping and shoving off.

Your POV
"Come on Hunter!! You can do it!" I exclaimed loudly. All of a sudden, I heard steps behind me. I brushed it off and continued watching Hunter, "You got this!" Unexpectedly, someone jumped on top of me, pushing me to the bottom of the lake. I saw a flash of a red bikini, purple dress girl, again. She can't seem to leave me alone, can she?

Hunter POV
I saw faster, the loud cheering making me push even more. I saw the upcoming wall, flipping over and kicking off. Last lap. I felt myself growing out of breath as I took the last strokes. Rotating my arm, finally feeling the edge of the lake in my reach. I gripped the wall, pulling myself into the wall. I pulled my head out of the water, my eyes immediately scanning for Y/N.

Your POV
I thrashed under water feeling my breath spill out in bubbles. I tried to hit her but I couldn't reach.