One

[|]

A loud bang on my room door forced me awake. I grabbed my pillow and brought it to my chest, silently hoping that he would go away. I shut my eyes when the banging continued then after two minutes, it stopped. I sighed and got out of bed, feeling too afraid to go back to sleep. I went to where my phone was charging and picked it up. I unlocked the device and stared at the cracked screen before shifting my attention to the time— 3:07 am.

"What am I going to do now? Mom isn't even back yet," I said and sat down on the floor, eyes fixed on the door.

And like always, I stayed awake throughout the night and later got up to prepare for school, with tired eyes and body. I dragged my feet to my wardrobe and picked out a black knee-length dress and a thick button-up sweater. I took my hygiene bag and robe and then hesitantly walked to the door with my heart beating so fast.

All I needed to do was run straight to the bathroom, brush my teeth, take a quick shower, rush back to my room then leave through the window. As long as he didn't see me, I would be fine. With a nod, I touched the key attached to the keyhole and twisted it slowly, not wanting to alert him that I was up. I was sure that he was drunk again so I had to be quick.

I poked my head out after opening the door and looked toward the hallway that led to the living room. I saw no sign of him when I glanced at the door a few feet away from mine. I exhaled in relief and took out my key before leaving the room. I closed the door and locked it back then rushed to the bathroom on the other end of the hallway. Once I was inside, I locked the door and leaned on it, breathing a sigh of relief.

I cannot wait until the day I leave this house. This is why I study hard to get a scholarship because right now, mom or that man did not care if I went to college or not. We were broke and nothing gave me the idea of a bright future if I depended on them.

"Alright, time for school. I can't be late today of all days. I have an important test to take."

[|]

I jogged into the school's compound and stopped at the entrance of the building where students were moving in and out. I held the straps of my backpack tighter when I got close to the crowded entrance. Once I was in, I ran to the flight of stairs which led me to the second floor of the building. As I climbed the steps, I stopped at the sight of the few people I despised seeing.

At the top of the steps were the students from the swim team, laughing and talking to each other. I hoped that they didn't see me because they did everything possible to make my life a living hell after one accident that started everything.

Two years ago...

I hummed as I walked through the hallway of the school, reading one of my favorite novels. My ears perked when I heard laughter coming from the pool room up ahead. I closed my book and smiled at the idea of watching the swim team practice because they had a contest tomorrow.

I quickened my steps and reached the double doors of the room. I looked through the glass area on the doors and saw some of them in their trunks moving in the water and sitting on the bleachers. The sight of other students made me relieved to go in because there was no way I would walk in there if no one from the school was there, watching them. I pushed the door open and walked in. A few people glanced at me but looked away afterward.

I walked to the lower bleachers and sat down. I removed my backpack and placed it on the floor in front of my feet. I looked around the place before opening my novel to read. Five minutes later, I saw one of the swimmers run past me but he knocked into my backpack which sent him falling toward the pool. He fell into the pool and everyone screamed out in fear. I sat up, more bothered about my bag than him because I knew he could swim and survive but the books in my bag couldn't.