Hundred and Nine

[|]

Lucas' POV

I watched as Jackie slept soundly on the bed. She had cried herself to sleep and still had tears on her cheeks. Her skin had gone pale and cold from all the exhaustion. It made my heart break as she has gone through a lot all her life. It made me want to do everything possible to erase such memories in exchange for happy ones.

I rose from the bed and covered her body up. I kissed her forehead and tucked some of her hair away from her face before leaving the room to the next one which was Jared's. I opened the door and Ruth sat up from the bed with a hiss.

She was now clean and wearing some of Jackie's clothes. Her skin still had bruises on them and her hair was now cut short to her neck.

I walked closer and stopped in front of her. I stared in silence as guilt ate inside of me. I was a bad brother. I've protected Ruth ever since she was raped yet I didn't believe her one bit all because of one woman. I felt ashamed of myself for not trusting her.

"Lucas, I—"

I wrapped my arms around her in a hug. Her body went stiff in my arms and after some seconds, she hugged me back.

"I am so sorry, Ruth. I should have been there for you. I am sorry for not believing you. I am the worst brother ever," I said and she shook her head.

"No, don't blame yourself. If I was in your shoes. I would have done the same thing. Maddy tricked everyone so well that it looked so real. I should have been careful and asked questions when she told me to send such an amount of money. It is partly my fault too," Ruth said and pulled away.

"Ruth, don't blame yourself, okay?" I cupped her cheek. "Also, are you sure you're okay? They didn't... You know?"

Ruth shook her head with a small smile on her face.

"No, they didn't sexually harass me. I only got beaten when I didn't want to give them my ATM PIN and write those letters," she replied.

"You suffered so much, Ruth. I'm so sorry for not being there to save you from them," I said and kissed the crown of her head.

"It's fine, Lucas. Stop beating yourself up. The most important thing is finding Maddy. I overheard those guys saying that the 'boss' was coming this week or next and that she won't be happy that I went missing. I was hiding when I heard them exchange those words."

I nodded. "Which means that Maddy will be in Redside this week or the next one. I have to call Axel and tell him about this. Have you had something to eat?"

"No," she replied and I cursed.

"I'll send Jared to get you some food. Just lay down and rest your head. Order anything you want, okay?" I asked and she beamed.

"I will. You should go stay with Jackie. I'm sure she needs you by her side," Ruth said and pointed at the door.

I smiled at her and stepped backward. I turned around and touched the door handle.

"Oh, Lucas?"

I looked over my shoulder to stare at Ruth.

"I like Jackie," she said and I chuckled.

"I do too, RuRu," I said and left the room.