Eighty-Eight

[|]

"Mom?!"

I flinched at the angry voice of Maddy who grabbed her mother's arm and tugged her back.

"What, Maddy?" She asked in a tone that was heavy with humor.

"Stop this. You're always embarrassing me. Stop disrespecting my friends. How many times do I have to tell you that Lucas and I are just friends? Stop trying to play matchmaker with every guy that I fucking know! Also, mind your words. I came here because you and dad forced me here and I will not tolerate it if you insult my friends, especially Jackie. Do you understand?"

I felt relief at Maddy's defense and then smiled at her mother when she glared at me with hatred in her eyes. The woman has always hated me because of my friendship with her daughter and has accused me of a lot of things that I was not guilty of all because I am poor and not in their status.

"Very well then but I will be keeping my eyes on her. I don't want anything going wrong," she said and walked away, nose in the air.

Lucas wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his chest. I leaned on him and Maddy turned around, a sympathetic expression on her face.

"I am so sorry for what she said. I know how evil my mom can be so try not to be in the same room with her because I know she won't listen to a word I say," Maddy explained and smiled, her former emotions leaving her face. "Now, come on. I'll take you two inside and show you your room."

"What about our bags?" I asked and pointed at the car.

"Forget about them, a maid will bring them in. Come on, let's go inside."

Maddy walked on while I stood with Lucas who had not said a word or moved. I tilted my head back to look at him and he met my eyes. His eyes were empty with no emotions but his lips were pursed.

"Why is that woman talking to you like that, Jackie? If she's going to fucking disrespect you, we won't be staying for any fucking event," Lucas said and took his arm off my shoulder.

"It's nothing new. Mrs. Kingston has always not liked me ever since she found out that Maddy and I are friends. According to her, I am a bad influence because I am from the slums of whatever," I said and felt the ache of her words in my heart.

"Are you sure we can stay here? Maybe we could find a hotel close by and-"

"No, that's a waste of money. I will just ignore her as much as I can," I said and placed my hands on his chest. "Now, let's go inside. Maddy's waiting for us."

I glanced in the direction where Maddy had gone and saw her waving her hand and us. I waved back and she crossed her arms, making me giggle.

"I swear, Jackie. I won't tolerate anyone disrespecting or hurting you," Lucas said in a deep voice that made me gulp at how serious he sounded.

He looked at me one last time before walking away, leaving me to my thoughts of how to either take everything Mrs. Kingston said in silence or defend myself against her.

"This won't be easy," I said, stepping forward to follow Lucas.

[|]