Hundred and Eleven

[|]

"What?" I asked in a whisper. I could not believe what I had just heard her say.

"Yes, Jackie. Maddy found out you were pregnant and home one day, crying and getting angry. She said she's doing everything to separate you two yet you end up having his baby. She knew how a baby brings a couple together and she picked offense. I tried to stop her, I tried to tell her to do everything but harm the child but she didn't care. Besides, if she can abort her baby out of selfishness, she can harm another person's baby."

Lucas placed his hand on my shoulder and I rested against his side. My mind was blown by this information.

"I'm sorry for hurting you. I'm sorry that I couldn't do anything to not poison you. I was scared because she said she would kill me and you if I don't give you the food containing the pill. At first, I thought the food had only the right dosage but I found out through my husband that it was an overdose. I didn't know it would almost kill you. After I got arrested, Maddy came back to insult me, telling me how I couldn't even get the job done."

I took a step forward and pushed my hands through the railings. I grabbed her cold hands and smiled at her while she cried softly.

"Thank you for telling us these things, Mrs. Kingston," I said and she sniffed.

"Call me Anne... I despise that name; Kingston."

"Okay, Anne... For helping us this way. Maybe we could find a way to get you out of prison," I said and she took her hands out of mine then shook her head.

"No, don't do that. I deserve to be here," she said and I frowned in confusion.

I looked over at Lucas who was also with the same expression.

"Why? We want to also help you, Anne."

Anne smiled and shook her head. She walked away from me and stood directly in front of Lucas. She held the metal bars and exhaled.

"Lucas, please forgive me. I... Your real father."

Lucas tensed up beside me and I glanced at the woman in shock.

"You knew my father?" Lucas asked.

"Yeah... Your real father used to be the odd one in our group. He was different and what you folks call a nerd or loser, no offense. My husband and your mother's husband bullied him in Redside High because he was different. Some years later, when it was time to inherit the family business, your real father was the right choice but your mother's husband had other plans. He didn't want him to take what belongs to him. My husband was angry when he found out because he knew taking over your family's business will be difficult when your father is in charge."

My heart was beating fast and I knew Lucas was feeling the same. There was something she was trying to say and I was afraid of what it was.

"What happened to my father?" Lucas asked.

"I'm sorry," Anne said and started to cry. "I am no different from them since I do their dirty work."

"Speak!"

"Your time is up!" The officer said in a loud voice from the other end of the hallway. "It's time to leave, kids!"