Sixteen

[|]

"Yeah, she's with me," Axel said to the person on the other end of the phone pressed against his ear. "I brought her home."

We were parked outside the Hamilton mansion and I was a nervous wreck. I didn't know if I could stay still before Lucas when he started to speak. My only hope was that we found who did this and why they did it.

"Lucas is coming," Axel said and I looked out the window.

I saw Lucas walking out of the mansion with determined steps. I unfastened my seatbelt and opened the door then stepped out. As soon as I closed the door, Axel started the car and drove off. My eyes widened at his audacity but I became calm when he parked a few feet away from the entrance of the house.

Lucas stopped in front of me and I swallowed, not meeting his eyes.

"Why did you walk away?" He asked.

"Please, go straight to the point," I said and he sighed.

"Can we talk inside?"

I shook my head and finally looked up at his face. His hair was scattered, leaving some locks on his forehead. He looked stressed with dark circles around his eyes, even the sweatshirt and pants he wore were rumpled.

"What did you say about you being framed?"

Lucas put his hands in the pockets of his sweatshirt and shrugged his shoulders.

"After the party, there were words about you being almost taken advantage of at my house. I asked around and Maddy told me later that night that she saw those guys trying to take advantage of you. I got angry when she accused me of trying to hurt you and I tried to explain that I didn't do anything but she wouldn't listen. The next day, I confronted them and they refused to speak. They mocked me and said not even my money can buy the truth and that I deserved it," Lucas said and paused.

I took in what he was saying with an open mind, as I had to convince myself that he was telling the truth.

"Jackie, I never did anything to you. Yes, I was shocked and hurt that a girl rejected me for the first time after our kiss at the party and I wanted to forget about you after that kiss but when I heard what happened to you, I wanted to help find out who did this to you at all cost. I was able to get my lawyer to have these guys sued for defaming me and hurting you. When I threatened them with the letter, they were stubborn at first but when I sent it to their parents, they started to waver. Because their parents told them they would not support them in court.  Later on, they confessed that someone paid them a huge amount of money; $20,000 each to assault you. I tried everything to have them tell me who paid them but they don't want to. As of now, they've left town and are untraceable."

My mind went through different thoughts. From who was behind this, to why this person did this to me and him. I could not tell if they had something against Lucas or me. I suspected this person had something against Lucas because I barely knew anyone or had friends. On the other hand, Lucas could still be the one behind all these.

"How do I believe all of these?" I asked and I saw pain flash through his eyes.

"I... I don't expect you to believe me. All I want is justice and you're not the only one affected here, no offense. A lot will be at stake if whoever this person broadcasts me as a rape enabler and I don't want you going through hell because of my stupidity," Lucas said and stood closer.

I was about to step back but I remained still, looking him dead in the eyes. I could see fear and honesty in his eyes. He looked restless and from the way his chest moved, he wasn't breathing calmly but heavily.

"I am sorry for putting you through this and I don't deserve your forgiveness. I promise that I will leave you alone and never bother you. I know it will not take away what you went through as it was my party and my foolishness that caused this for you. My...my sister got assaulted and I saw how it haunted her for years and I know you'll be haunted by these memories. So, please forgive me."

Tears pricked my eyes at how vulnerable he sounded. I closed my eyes and hot tears rolled down my cheeks. I moved my hand to wipe them but another hand beat me to it. I opened my eyes in shock and saw Lucas wiping my tears with the back of his hand. When he saw what he was doing, he dropped his hand and stepped away.

"Sorry. I should not have done that," he said and looked in the direction of Axel's car then back at me. "Is Axel being good to you?"

"Yes."

"Tell him I said thank you. Good night, Jackie," Lucas said and turned around then walked back to the house.

I exhaled the heaviness I felt in my heart and then wiped my cheeks. I saw Axel's car reversing back until he stopped beside me. I opened the door and boarded the car.

"How was it?" Axel asked.

"It was... Normal. He said the same thing as before; someone is framing him," I replied and leaned against the cold window. "I just want everything to move by so fast. I want to move away from here and never come back. I want to forget the life I had here."

"I understand what you mean so well and if you ever need a friend, I'll be there for you in every way," Axel said and held my hand in his.

I smiled at the warmth of his hand and then looked at his face. I was so happy I had a friend now and my only wish was that I could finally learn to open myself to express what the future had in store for me.

A/N: Emotional chapter.

Who do you think is behind this act?

Do you think the character will be revealed in the middle of the story as a new character or are they already in the story?