Nine

[|]

I wiped my wet cheeks when I saw Maddy walking up to her car. We were about to leave the party and I had not seen any signs of Lucas or those boys. I was glad I didn't because I didn't know what I was going to do if I saw him.

I heard the driver's door open and Maddy boarded the car. I glanced at her when a bottle of water entered my line of vision. She was smiling at me then I smiled back and took the bottle of water. I uncapped it and drank some of it.

"Thank you," I said in a cracked voice.

"You're welcome," she said and started the car's engine.

I stared at Lucas' house one last time before staring ahead of me. I sighed in relief when Maddy drove off. We stayed in silence for ten minutes before Maddy sighed.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"No," I replied.

"Don't you think you should call the cops?"

My eyes widened at her idea which I thought was good but I didn't want any of it. Nothing went too far which I was glad and thankful to her for.

"It's not needed. My only concern is Lucas."

"Lucas?"

I nodded. "When those boys were... Well, they said something about me rejecting Lucas and how I'm going to pay for it."

"Pay for what?"

I tightened my grip around the plastic bottle, trying to convince myself that Maddy would accept what I said especially when I heard she had a history with Lucas.

"The thing is; the first time I met Lucas was in the boys' locker room. I was locked in there by some trouble makers and Lucas had been there. He thought I was a cheerleader doing sexual favors, nothing happened in the locker room as Josh Edgewood came in. Fast forward to later that day, I found out I lost my phone. When I called my phone, Lucas was the one who answered. He bought me a phone the following day and I rejected it. He made me come to this party, saying he'll give me my old phone. But... We kissed and I rejected his advances so I guess he made those boys make me pay for it."

Tears filled my eyes and Maddy stopped her car on the side of the road. I bowed my head and cried to myself, hating how vulnerable I felt. I felt her hand on my shoulder which I ignored.

"I am so sorry, Jackie. If I had known such would have happened, I should have stayed with you all night. I am so sorry for what happened. I never knew that Lucas was a piece of shit," she said and squeezed my shoulder.

I sniffed and wiped my tears then faced her with a small smile. I was still stunned that someone like her had compassion for a nobody like me. Which made me conclude that her nasty attitude at school was all an act.

"Don't cry," she said and wiped my cheeks with her hands. "If you still want, we can go to the cops now and file a sexual assault report and they'll arrest him tonight."

"No, let's forget it. I'm too broke to sue Lucas who comes from wealth. I just want to go home," I said and she smiled with an understanding on her face.

"You know what? Why don't we go watch a movie and have ice cream? I'm sure you still have time to spare, right?" Maddy suggested and I mulled over the idea.