Seventy-Two

[|]

Later that weekend, we arrived in a small town in Barbados. I had been asleep when the rented SUV we took drove us to the house we would be staying in. It was when I felt a gentle tap that I opened my eyes and saw the crashing waves brush the white sands of the beach close to the houses a few feet away.

Once the driver slide the door open, I got out and ran straight to the breezy beach. My dress fluttered aggressively from the strong breeze, as well as my hair as I stared at the waves rolling before me. Birds were flying around in the sky some almost flying close to the surface of the water. Just a few feet away from where I stood were some canoes rocking on the water.

The place was serene as I looked further. There were palm trees spread all around with people or empty benches under the shades. Children were running around in the back, playing and laughing out loud. I could even hear the faint sounds of music carried by the breeze. I felt at peace, relaxed and excited.

"Couldn't even wait for me, huh?"

I chuckled at Lucas's voice while keeping my eyes on the people in the distance, jumping into the water from a wooden walkway built on top of the water.

"This place is so beautiful," I said and smiled when he wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"I know and I hear it gets more beautiful at night," he said and pressed his lips on my bare shoulder.

"I can't wait," I said and took out my phone from my purse. I clicked on the camera app and took pictures of the beautiful ocean as well as the other things happening around us.

"Let's take a picture," Lucas said and raised his hand in front of my face. In his hand was his phone which was now on the camera.

"Of what?"

I was camera-shy. I barely took pictures of myself, only memories I come across. I was more of a person who took pictures of anything except for their faces. If I saw a cute cat, I would take pictures, if I was reading a good book, I would take pictures of it, but if I was dressed so well, I would not even think of taking pictures. I didn't feel good about myself in the pictures.

"Of us, silly. We don't have a picture of us together," he said and raised his hand, ready to take the picture.

I immediately twisted out of his arm and shook my head.

"I'm sorry but I don't think I'm photogenic for pictures. I don't like taking pictures," I said and Lucas stared at me as if I had spoken in some other language.

"Are you being serious?" He was looking confused that it looked cute on him.

"Yes, Lucas," I said and looked past him and spotted the driver placing our bags on the porch of the house between some bushes and Palm trees.

"No, I want a picture of us together," he said and raised his phone.

I gasped and then dodged out of his view when he bit his lip with a concentrated look on his face. When I saw him move to chase after me, I squealed and ran straight to the house we'd be staying in. Once I got close, I skipped on the wooden steps and ran straight to the glass doors up front. I slid them open and turned around, smiling at the sight of Lucas climbing the porch.

Once he entered the house, he stopped and bent over with his hands on his knees. I threw my head back to laugh at him before positioning it back to stare at him.

"How are you so out of breath, Mr. Hamilton the racer and ex-basketball player?" I asked, chuckling.

Lucas stood up straight and glared at me. He waved me aside and walked over to the kitchen on the other side of the wide room. He turned on the faucet and washed his face. While he was busy with that, I took in the place. The living room had only one curved white couch with a giant flat screened television hanging across the couch. Across from where I stood was a wide ceiling-length glass door that showed me a view of the beach afar and a sandy pathway with bushes on each side.

I glanced around and saw a net-like demarcation between the living room and what was the bedroom. I walked toward it and climbed the three long steps then parted the net curtain. I smiled at the huge bed against the wall. Two bamboo-styled side tables with lamps were on each side of the bed and the window above the headrest allowed some rays of the sun to peek in, touching some parts of the bed.

The place was cozy and I loved it. I could already imagine myself having a peaceful sleep on the bed as well as enjoying the rustle of leaves and chirps of birds in the trees.

"Are you tired?"

I turned around at the sound of Lucas's voice. He parted the curtain and I saw he had his shirt unbuttoned, making me eye his hard abs and strong broad chest.

"Jackie?"

I blinked. "Huh?"

"Are you tired? I wanted us to swim at the beach."

I bit my lip when I realized I had not brought any swimming trunks or bikini for the trip. I never had one or needed one because where would I have worn them to?

"Why don't you go ahead," I said, shooing him away with my hands. He craned his head sideways in confusion.

"Why? I want my girlfriend at the beach with me," he said and wrapped his arms around my waist. My chest brushed against his chest, making me feel his warm skin through my dress.

"I...I don't have a swimsuit," I said and drummed my fingers on his chest, not meeting his eyes.

"Really?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"I'll go buy you one now. I want us to have fun at the beach," he said and removed his arms from around my waist.

I felt so bad that I could still not afford certain things despite what I had in my savings account. The flight tickets alone were expensive, this house too and the cost of living in a foreign place was equally expensive.

"You don't have to get me anything. I could just wear my shorts and a shirt," I said and he eyed me up and down, eyes concentrated.

"You're my girlfriend and I don't care how much I spend on you. I have enough to spoil you with. So, just let me buy you things," he said in a soft voice and bit his bottom lip while staring at me with darkened eyes.

"Okay," I said and he smiled.

"I'll be back," he said and left the room.

I watched him leave the house with a smile on my face before sitting on the bed and letting out a deep exhale.

"I know the next few days are going to be fun. What could go wrong?"

A/n: Steamy chapter coming next. Sorry for the delayed update. I ended my exams two days ago and I've resumed my work as a ghostwriter (I write people's books).